• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New W.B. Selb Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice rifle. I’ve shot trap with him on several occasions and he’s told me about his work of which he is very proud of rightly so. Oh and he’s a good trap shooter too. Congratulations on your new purchase!

I talked to him about his shot gunning the last time we spoke. He sure knows his stuff! He also mentioned that he's made over 200 of these rifles, which I thought was pretty cool.

Beautiful rifle ! W B builds some really nice Hawkins .l have not seen any better . He built mine back in 2011and it is a real shooter .
My only problem with the rifle was , it looked so good l didn't want to use it for fear of scratching it . But hey l bought it to use and use it l have . Thousands of prb's later , and she still shoots like the champ she is , and l still love her .
Get that thing out and shoot stuff!

I" make some in Red or Bright Orange, but Black still seems to be the best color to designate over the sights on my Muzzleloaders"

Color make a big difference. I am red/green and blue/green color blind. When shooting silhouettes, I cannot see them if they are painted the fluorescent orange, if they are painted black, no problem.

That's a beautiful rifle! The coloration of the mountings is outstanding! Good for you!

It shot great today! Just need to find some paper targets with a bullseye that is easier for me to see!
I have visual problems, too. Red/green and blue/green color blind, cataracts, posterior vitreous detachment, and I'm a "glaucoma suspect." I've had some issues with targets, too. The old time "chunk" shooters used a shingle charred black, with a piece of white paper pinned to it as an aiming point, which provides a different picture than a black bullseye on light-colored paper. With that in mind, I bought some NFAA (National Field Archery Association) Hunter targets, which have a white bullseye on a black background. They look like this:

Hunter Targe 1.1.jpg

Hunter Target 1.2.jpg

These might work better for you than a standard black-on-white bullseye, with traditional muzzleloader sights. These targets come in four sizes, but the one shown is 35cm, pasted to an 18" x 24" cardboard back for a standard target frame and stand. Most ranges provide stands and cardboard, but I bring my own. I stick the target to the cardboard back with wallpaper paste, and don't have to fool with staples or push pins. Those are spring clamps holding the backing to the furring strips... Binder clips are better, but I didn't have any handy for the photo.

Enough about targets. Let's hear some more about that new rifle!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
That's a beautiful rifle! The coloration of the mountings is outstanding! Good for you!

I have visual problems, too. Red/green and blue/green color blind, cataracts, posterior vitreous detachment, and I'm a "glaucoma suspect." I've had some issues with targets, too. The old time "chunk" shooters used a shingle charred black, with a piece of white paper pinned to it as an aiming point, which provides a different picture than a black bullseye on light-colored paper. With that in mind, I bought some NFAA (National Field Archery Association) Hunter targets, which have a white bullseye on a black background. They look like this:

View attachment 110502

View attachment 110503

These might work better for you than a standard black-on-white bullseye, with traditional muzzleloader sights. These targets come in four sizes, but the one shown is 35cm, pasted to an 18" x 24" cardboard back for a standard target frame and stand. Most ranges provide stands and cardboard, but I bring my own. I stick the target to the cardboard back with wallpaper paste, and don't have to fool with staples or push pins. Those are spring clamps holding the backing to the furring strips... Binder clips are better, but I didn't have any handy for the photo.

Enough about targets. Let's hear some more about that new rifle!

Notchy Bob
I like that!

Back