• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Uberti 1861 Navy from Midway. Buyer Beware!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cause it's easier to produce?!! 😄
You'd be wrong !!! 🤣
I prefer a gun with a stationary rear sight and one that you don't have to damn near take down all the way to reload and it doesn't seem to be cursed with a cylinder Gap as often as not.... Actually having a frame above the cylinder is just icing on the cake. :)

And I have owned a Colt type design in the past which I traded for a hawken rifle

I prefer a gun with a stationary rear sight and one that you don't have to damn near take down all the way to reload and it doesn't seem to be cursed with a cylinder Gap as often as not.... Actually having a frame above the cylinder is just icing on the cake. :)

. . . take down to reload . . . ? What are you talking about?

Trouble with a non-stationary sight?
Hmmmmm . . . first five shots testing a new front sight

20240315_124519.jpg

2" center to center
10 yrds, off hand 230gr lead 21K psi
hand load.

Mike

LONG PAST DUE for this thread to be closed. So that other, far more important topics can be discussed in the Handgun section. 🙄

Might be some first timers reading this thread . . . they might get the wrong idea about open top revolvers.

Sights are important, correct build is important, action parts are important

Our range requires the cylinders to be out of BP revolvers for a cease fire.

I can pop the barrel and cylinder off the 47 Walker in a heartbeat. Once tap with my wood piece, pull the wedge over and a bit of pressure with the rammer in between the chambers and its a done deal. It sounds like far more time than it takes.

On the other hand the ROA is not as fast. And you got to be careful the Rammer parts don't go a flying.

I thought the Colt style was dinosaur like and its not, its an impressive design. It looks crude and weird but its an effective solution to getting a BP revolver to work.

I have yet to be able to see the hammer sight move, I am sure some day I will catch it doing that and confirm its the hammer sight notch that is causing me to shoot badly!

And the Colt style does not require fideling with the cylinder to get it out of the gun, it simply goes off the end of the Arbor.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the ROA and the NMA, its just that I don't see the Colt as 2nd rate now.

Only as far as arbor length . . . the action parts are modern '70's parts. Uberti's parts are mich superior!!
please explain what you mean by the pietta parts being 70's etc. I own the Pietta's so it is of definite interest to me. Also, what makes the Uberti parts superior? thanks

please explain what you mean by the pietta parts being 70's etc. I own the Pietta's so it is of definite interest to me. Also, what makes the Uberti parts superior? thanks

Yes, the pic below shows 2 bolts. The left one is an Uberti bolt and the Pietta on the right. You'll notice the left arm ( the working arm) on the Uberti is much thinner than the right arm. That's how the part should be. The left arm has to flex inward to allow the hammer cam to pass by as the hammer falls.
The Pietta is exactly backwards as its right arm is the thin one with the left being thick. It's also a MIM part (unlike the cut steel Uberti part) which is OK but those parts are typically very hard which means they don't like to flex. The left bolt arm HAS to flex . . . A lot of material has to be removed to get the Pietta to flex like the Uberti bolt.
So, for an easier, longer lasting, action you need lighter springs all around, parts that flex as needed, less friction for better wear.
20240318_104133.jpg

The Uberti parts are definitely closer to Colt parts (better I think) than Pietta parts.

Mike

Our range requires the cylinders to be out of BP revolvers for a cease fire.

I can pop the barrel and cylinder off the 47 Walker in a heartbeat. Once tap with my wood piece, pull the wedge over and a bit of pressure with the rammer in between the chambers and its a done deal. It sounds like far more time than it takes.

On the other hand the ROA is not as fast. And you got to be careful the Rammer parts don't go a flying.

I thought the Colt style was dinosaur like and its not, its an impressive design. It looks crude and weird but its an effective solution to getting a BP revolver to work.

I have yet to be able to see the hammer sight move, I am sure some day I will catch it doing that and confirm its the hammer sight notch that is causing me to shoot badly!

And the Colt style does not require fideling with the cylinder to get it out of the gun, it simply goes off the end of the Arbor.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the ROA and the NMA, its just that I don't see the Colt as 2nd rate now.
A man of my heart! Every one wants to mimic Clint with a Remington. I can wack the wedge, pull the barrel and change the cylinder on my Colt 51 in seconds. My Remington, once that cylinder falls out, it can take me 10 minutes of fighting to get it back in. Seriously. I have had this Rem a year and I cannot get that cylinder back in without a fight. The Colt is so much easier.
Funny thing is I always wanted a Remington so I bought it first, shortly after, I bought the Colt. The Rem stays in the display stand, the Colt comes with me to the range, every single time.
I could sell the Rem, I will never get rid of the Colt.

As for range rules, thats a pita. We just have to step behind the yellow line behind the table when it goes cold.

Last edited:
A man of my heart! Every one wants to mimic Clint with a Remington. I can wack the wedge, pull the barrel and change the cylinder on my Colt 51 in seconds. My Remington, once that cylinder falls out, it can take me 10 minutes of fighting to get it back in. Seriously. I have had this Rem a year and I cannot get that cylinder back in without a fight. The Colt is so much easier.
Funny thing is I always wanted a Remington so I bought it first, shortly after, I bought the Colt. The Rem stays in the display stand, the Colt comes with me to the range, every single time.
I could sell the Rem, I will never get rid of the Colt.

As for range rules, thats a pita. We just have to step behind the yellow line behind the table when it goes cold.
You have to as you insert the cylinder from the right turning it slightly clockwise to get the hand to retract otherwise the ratchet will not let the cylinder slide into place. Takes me 2 seconds with my Remingtons.

Back