• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Uberti 1861 Navy from Midway. Buyer Beware!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isnt it great to have spent all our working productive lives......hoarding !

Hey I'm am avid hoarder and totally reject all the new age hype about "liberating ouselves" of posessions; "you will have nothing and be happy" is a deliberate strategy to beggar us all.
I’m a hoarder too, even my mother called me that, God rest her soul.

My cousin is just the opposite and he feels that I should sell many of my possessions and donate the proceeds to charity. I don’t have a problem with that to some extent but there may come a time where I am forced to sell some things just to eat. I do currently donate a portion of my paycheck to charity but that and the amount is my prerogative, no one should make that decision for me or for anyone else.

DUH!!!! THANK YOU!!!! Posted for the benefit of others, not to get life advice from strangers! I think I can handle my finances, business dealings, and determine for myself what battles are worth fighting in my sixties. Additionally, I know the difference between "red grease" and rust, I know what a spent percussion cap looks like, and I am certainly not "too passive" when it comes to issues and events that matter. This info was posted so that the reader could make an informed decision about who they will or will not purchase products from. It was my experience, and I was not looking for unsolicited answers from angry fellows as to how I should have dealt with the situation. For those who have had good dealings with Midway, Bully for You! Please share your experiences with others so they can make an informed decision. Busted some more caps thru it today with some .380 roundball I cast this morning. Tightened the group up considerably at 50 yards. Cheers!

Whatever anyone elses opinion sans valid advice is irrelevant , do it your own way sir and damn the British Crown, governments and sycophants opinions !

I’m a hoarder too, even my mother called me that, God rest her soul.

My cousin is just the opposite and he feels that I should sell many of my possessions and donate the proceeds to charity. I don’t have a problem with that to some extent but there may come a time where I am forced to sell some things just to eat. I do currently donate a portion of my paycheck to charity but that and the amount is my prerogative, no one should make that decision for me or for anyone else.

Let me say this, your Cousins opinion about what you have and choose what you continue to have is irrelevant, ITS ALL ABOUT YOU !
If no-one in your family is being deprived then you have every right to enjoy what you've worked hard to collect and hoard away.

I retain a personal Library of over 800 historical Books (many of them now reasonably rare original reference texts more valuable than I paid for them decades ago) and continue to enjoy reading and use for references in historical discussions.
I simply dont subscribe to others remorse about possessions, I appreciate and enjoy what I've worked hard for, researched and patiently waited to aquire over the many years of my life.
My point is we don't have to feel obligated to subordinate ourselves to others opinions, in short thats about them, not about us as individuals.

Last edited:
I recently bought two Uberti revolvers from Jedediah Star. When I opened the boxes, both came in Taylor's boxes, not Uberti. Both pistols were pristine. Makes me think that Taylor's gets the cream of the crop.

Just received a "brand new" Uberti 1861 Navy in the mail today. Several years ago, I purchased a 1862 Police from Midway, and it came with a corroded and pitted barrel, and obvious signs of use without cleaning. After MUCH haggling I was able to get my money back. Figured it was a "one-off", so when I saw a sale on the Uberti 1861 Navy, I decided to chance it.

Well, here is the result. The box it came in looks like it has been tossed around a warehouse for the last two decades. I opened the plastic, and there was a noticeable lack of the slimy oil that I have grown use to when opening a new revolver. As you can see in the pics, there is rust around the nipples, and also around the front sight. That is on Midway, and I was aware of their "No Return" policy on black powder guns. They got over on me, but it will be the last time, I can assure you of that. Shame on you, Midway!

Now, for the gun itself, it is not so nearly as nice as the last Pietta (1851 Navy .44 Sheriff's Model) I bought a year or so ago. The fit and finish was of much lower quality than previous Uberti's I own. I am stuck with the gun due to Midway's policy, and I will clean and polish it up. Hopefully it will shoot well. Haven't had the barrel off yet to see if it rusted or pitted, crossing my fingers. Just a shout out to let folks know my now two time experience with Midway, and the Uberti's they sell. View attachment 303035View attachment 303036View attachment 303039View attachment 303040
This looks like it was fired and then not cleaned too well. Hopefully I’m wrong about that but I’m having trouble finding another cause for rust around the nipples.
Whatever the case, I can’t see it being called new. They should take it back and refund shipping too. Maybe someone there misfiled it as new when it wasn’t. Send them photos and ask what caused the rust?

If i were associated with Midway i would be embarrassed to have sent out something like that and then respond so badly. That said i have personally witnessed a trend toward what is virtually customer abuse without any empathy. Makes me think there's so many buyers who will just accept garbage that its in the sellers best interest (and bottom line) to just ignore complaints. Seeing this now at all levels including services and think its the tone set by the current administration.
Very well put, I agree….

Many problems, dissatisfaction and buyers remorse can be avoided by examining before buying. If not possible only buy from sellers that guarantee satisfaction or return.

Many problems, dissatisfaction and buyers remorse can be avoided by examining before buying. If not possible only buy from sellers that guarantee satisfaction or return.
True but Midway essentially offers perfect goods without inspection or return privilege's. This speaks to both the level of audaciousness of the seller and the intellect of the buyer.

True but Midway essentially offers perfect goods without inspection or return privilege's. This speaks to both the level of audaciousness of the seller and the intellect of the buyer.
You have displayed your "intellect" by your lack of ability to write coherent sentences. What is it that you are trying to communicate? Never mind a response, as it will undoubtedly be filled with grammatical errors, lack of punctuation, and random words structured together in such a manner as to leave the your attempt at intelligent conversation incomprehensible.

You have displayed your "intellect" by your lack of ability to write coherent sentences. What is it that you are trying to communicate? Never mind a response, as it will undoubtedly be filled with grammatical errors, lack of punctuation, and random words structured together in such a manner as to leave the your attempt at intelligent conversation incomprehensible.
Silly me I guess. Do you have a financial interest in Midway?

Are the Italian revolvers not proofed? (Asking out of ignorance.) If so, manner of doing so would be interesting and shed light on the topic. Curious.
All I have seen in last 5 decades, (Pietta, Uberti and even those made by EMF and others) were all date stamped and proofed. I think OP's is as well but maybe not thoroughly cleaned and oiled thereafter. Should have been carefully inspected before shipment from seller.

Just received a "brand new" Uberti 1861 Navy in the mail today. Several years ago, I purchased a 1862 Police from Midway, and it came with a corroded and pitted barrel, and obvious signs of use without cleaning. After MUCH haggling I was able to get my money back. Figured it was a "one-off", so when I saw a sale on the Uberti 1861 Navy, I decided to chance it.

Well, here is the result. The box it came in looks like it has been tossed around a warehouse for the last two decades. I opened the plastic, and there was a noticeable lack of the slimy oil that I have grown use to when opening a new revolver. As you can see in the pics, there is rust around the nipples, and also around the front sight. That is on Midway, and I was aware of their "No Return" policy on black powder guns. They got over on me, but it will be the last time, I can assure you of that. Shame on you, Midway!

Now, for the gun itself, it is not so nearly as nice as the last Pietta (1851 Navy .44 Sheriff's Model) I bought a year or so ago. The fit and finish was of much lower quality than previous Uberti's I own. I am stuck with the gun due to Midway's policy, and I will clean and polish it up. Hopefully it will shoot well. Haven't had the barrel off yet to see if it rusted or pitted, crossing my fingers. Just a shout out to let folks know my now two time experience with Midway, and the Uberti's they sell. View attachment 303035View attachment 303036View attachment 303039View attachment 303040

Did you happen to take a peek at the date of manufacture? It may have been kicked around their warehouse for a couple of years.

Latest posts

Back