• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New To Muzzleloaders, Not to Firearms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Smith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I started shooting with a .22LR, don't remember when. I then progressed through shotguns, rifles, and handguns. I am my own gunsmith and built the 1911 I carry for personal protection.

I reload .45acp, and may get into some rifle calibers as well. We'll see.

I'm a freak when it comes to terminal ballistics, having attended autopsies, read about the ones I've not attended, and am always trying new bullets on different things.

I was out trading the other day, just because I was bored. I found a CVA Bobcat in good condition, and traded even up for that rifle and stuff to start muzzleloading.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get real powder, just Shockey's Gold sticks, but I've had very good luck with them if I seat the ball hard, or tamp the stick down into powder, or both. I've not had incomplete combustion yet. All shots feel the same.

Regardless, when I get more money coming in, I'll be getting either Goex (have to order that), Pyrodex or 777. Actually 777 intrigues me the most; I've read the most good stuff about it compared to others. Then again, Shockey's is supposed to be bad and I'm running very nice 50yd groups with it.

I guess this proves once again that every rifle is a rule unto itself.

Anyway, I have a huge report compiled I'll be putting down in the appropriate board. It's actually three posts condensed into one; I had posted on a few other, primarily centerfire modern, boards before finding this place. I figure this is the most efficient way to do it.

I look forward to being a part of this place. My website, geared more toward centerfire pistols and real-world self-defense, is at handgunsandammo.proboards.com if anyone's interested. It's connected with some very big names... who also happen to be very nice people. They bring a lot of experience to the table.

Enough with the shameless plugging though. This rifle's not left my side since I got it, and I'd like to learn more about it. While the sight alignment, NPoA, and trigger pull are all the same (basics apply), this is almost like learning to shoot all over again.

Thanks!

Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Josh, sounds like you have plenty of experience as to shooting. You should enjoy your new muzzle loading acquisition(s).

Welcome to the MLF Josh! There are lots of friendly knowlegable folks here on the site and its the best BP forum on the net. Pull up a stump and contribute when you can.

welcome to the Forum Josh. :hatsoff:
I began my bp shooting with a CVA pistol that had been built from a kit, fired some and had a bad bore from inadequate cleaning.
I was working in a machine shop at the time so got a reamer and reamed it to .54 smoothey and polished the bore with a small cylinder hone.
I've carried that caplock many a mile woods tramping and took much small game w/it. I always loaded a PRB at night for ease of mind.
there is no substitute for the real deal bp IMO.

welcome aboard, get the real powder. the subs are ok but the good stuff rules. WK1

Back