• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me CVA!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced my (lost) bolster screw with one that has a head that can be turned with a wrench, rather than a turnscrew. I got it from one of the vendors that folks here recommend.
=[>>> <--- Almost like that, where the > represent the threads, and the = is the head that can be turned with a wrench.

As I said earlier that screw in the drum is often referred to as a "clean out screw". Certainly that screw can be removed to facilitate the flushing or the cleaning out of the breech. The nipple can be removed for the same effect. And the cleaning is not any easier when removing the "clean out" screw than just removing the nipple. It is an artifact of the manufacturing process and rather than just ignore it the manual writers decided to make it a feature and gave it a function. Because of the nature of black powder fouling, that screw can become seized in the drum and the slot will be deformed as far too many people use a screwdriver that doesn't fit. How many rifles have we seen with that screw head deformed and observed the questions on the thread size and pitch of that screw since the slot has been destroyed because the screw has been over torqued.

Note: As a disclaimer, I have removed the clean out screws on some of my CVA percussion guns for the purpose of flushing out the breech. I don't do that anymore. That "clean out" screw in my T/C Hawken was removed a couple of times and now the slots of that soft screw are hopelessly destroyed. In fact, T/C redesigned their breech to eliminate the "cleanout" screw as so many breeches were being replaced due to the destruction of the slot in that screw.

The manufacturers can call it a clean out screw, and it can be removed during cleaning. No matter, it is a plug installed after drilling the flash channel.

Read my post again on the description of how the CVA breech is constructed. If you look at you CVA bolster you will see that the flash channel is a much larger diameter that the bolster clean out screw.

That is because the drilled out the flash channel for the other direction and stopped shot the drilled with a smaller diameter bit to tap the bolster cleanout screw.

The manufacturer calls it a clean out screw and recommends you use it as a clean out port. You saying it isn't and that isn't what it is used for makes absolutely zero sense. You are right on other types of breech designs that is what it is but you certainly are NOT on this design.

OP, if you want to prevent misfires, which are more prevalent with this type of breech design, use the bolster cleanout screw to keep the flash channel clean.

Last edited:
If you look at the diagram, it is of a flint breech with a touch hole liner which is filling the threaded portion of the flash channel. You can drill the flash channel and it must be plugged. Let us respectfully disagree.

Not true. It is called a bolster clean out screw by CVA and they do suggest removing it to clean out the breech.
Yeah,, All that.
Then you learn in the real world, how well that all works out.
For some, that little screw becomes an obsession, the smart ones install, file the head off, then cap it with silver solder

Umm...
Does anybody else notice that a percussion drum is bored out from one end already? No need to drill from both sides. I believe it is a clean out screw and use it as such. A pipe cleaner goes in straight and gets the fouling out nicely. No need to go ' round a corner.

I just got an order from Deer Creek this afternoon. Great people to deal with. Very fast shipping and great communication.
Yes, they are a very good group of people to do business with. I have purchased a Kentucky 45 cal flint
rifle kit from them and am well satisfied with the shipping and the quality of the kit.
Gunny R

Umm...
Does anybody else notice that a percussion drum is bored out from one end already? No need to drill from both sides. I believe it is a clean out screw and use it as such. A pipe cleaner goes in straight and gets the fouling out nicely. No need to go ' round a corner.
Exactly! additionally the clean out screw hole is smaller than the flash channel hole!

Yeah,, All that.
Then you learn in the real world, how well that all works out.
For some, that little screw becomes an obsession, the smart ones install, file the head off, then cap it with silver solder
Guess that really depends on your definition of smart...that's not what I call it. Kind of like welding your lug nuts on your car. Real smart.

Kind of like welding your lug nuts on your car. Real smart.
Guy's like that, eventually learn about real world too.
Don't get me wrong,
Side screw access to a drum breech is a nice feature, if used and cared for properly. But it's not a defining aspect of the functioning rifle.
But being concerned about needing that access to accomplish proper ignition, cleaning and storage simply means the owner is being miss-directed with his goals.
Just like proper torque sequence and torque ftps of lug nuts is better than welding them.

Guy's like that, eventually learn about real world too.
Don't get me wrong,
Side screw access to a drum breech is a nice feature, if used and cared for properly. But it's not a defining aspect of the functioning rifle.
But being concerned about needing that access to accomplish proper ignition, cleaning and storage simply means the owner is being miss-directed with his goals.
Just like proper torque sequence and torque ftps of lug nuts is better than welding them.
That I can get on board with. Concur.

If unhappy with the Deer Creek screw, you can contact CVA (phone / email) and see if it's available.

I know Traditions Inc will help you find the screw. The drum & screw are very likely exactly the same for both manufacturers. So Traditions Inc is another source and I've used them before for parts on my Shenandoah.

Congrats on the 45-cal find. I used to have a similar gun and even used my leftover roundballs from 45-cal and inserted them into 50-cal MMP sabots for shooting at the range.

It shot fine at 50 yard. But my requirement for deer hunting is for the load to shoot well at 100 yards.

Last edited:
I made my first 40-minute trip from Lawrence to Deer Creek Products today and like Hound said upthread "Don't let the outside fool you, it's a treasure trove of black powder goodies", boy was he right! When I parked out front nothing would give you an idea what was inside but as soon as got close to the door and peaked in the window and could see a couple racks of rifles and pistols on the counter, I knew I was at the right place. It is not a huge store but has a lot off the goods you are looking for. Many used rifles that I was immediately attracted too. I went to buy powder and a few parts for my CVA Squirrel rifle in .45 cal. Before I left, I had found a used CVA Hawken 50 Cal in excellent condition that called my name! After having some good conversation with the guys and having all of my question answered I ended up leaving with a rifle, 1 pound of powder, parts for my other rifle a bolster screw and a ram rod catch, patches and a tube of Filtz that I have not been able to find anywhere around Lawrence. I look forward to going back for another visit soon! Great BP gun shop!

Last edited:
On that bolster screw. I didn't like the idea of that setscrew jamming into the nipple threads and buggering them up. I replaced it on both of my Investarms Hawkens with button head screws trimmed down so as not to contact the nipple threads. I'm not sure I like the look but worth it to me not to be concerned with running buggered threads up and down the nipple tapping.
DSC_4912.JPG

Last edited:
Sounds like and adult candy store. Good thing it isn't around here. I buy enough from those guys as it is!
My life was so much easier BMLF. before muzzleloading forum. seems every day someone posts a link to a new source of goodies.
Hi, I'm Deerstalker and i am a muzzleloader fun stuff addict!

Back