• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New rifle came in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontier's

Buckskins & Black Powder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yep! Finally found a nice one to restore! CVA mountain rifle. 50. Maple stock.
20231223_180559.jpg

20231223_180610.jpg

It looks pretty good as it is, to me. Some of the "modern" muzzleloaders have been around for going on fifty years now, and have acquired a legitimate patina. Excepting the ones that were only made in limited quantities (e.g the Big Bore Mountain Rifles), I don't think they have much collector value and I don't have a problem with refinishing them, but I kind of like the appearance of a "veteran" rifle. That's just personal preference.

By all means, keep us apprised of your progress as the restoration moves forward.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Oh this looks like manure compared to what I'll do. I plan on bringing the curl out of the stock on this one. Right now she's got a rough 220 sand job, blotchy browning. I'll make it look like a mirror.

When's the last time you've laid eyes on a cva hawken this clean, even in brand new factory form? Never.
39871310.jpg

I'm not seeing curl. I'd strip it, reshape those lock moldings a little slimmer, stain darker, polish, and age the brass.

I'm not seeing curl. I'd strip it, reshape those lock moldings a little slimmer, stain darker, polish, and age the brass.
That's because the pics are poor. Mostly on the bottom of the stock and forearm. The stock is really rough sanded.

Don't plan on altering factory look much as I want a good example of an original, but with a much nicer cool than factory.

Latest posts

Back