• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new powders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wire

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My TC manuel says bp or pyrodex only.Can the new powders be used like triple7 goex pinnacle or pioneer powder are they loaded the same as the first two or do you have to use reduced charges.If the manuel says a max charge of pyrodex is 120 gr how much of the others can you use if you can use them :thanks:

Hi 58 - Your best bet is to go to the powder manufacturer to find the recommended loads. Pyrodex was calibrated so that you could use the same loads volume for volume that you would use original black powder. "Maybe" you could do the same for the other brands? Best bet is to search on the web for the powder company sites and get their recommended loads. Keep your eyes peeled in these spaces too as someone may post the data. GC

Dont know about the rest of the powders but if you use 777 you need to reduce the charge by 15 percent to get the blackpowder or pyrodex equivalantcy

What caliber TC and flint or caplock? Your TC manual probably is not up to date with the new powders. Best to call TC and ask them. And, as guncobbler says, call the powder people. Go to LINKS on the opening page of MLforum, click on it, then click on POWDERS. Next on "777 and Pyrodex", and "Goex", and any others you want to look up. Pyrodex is made in two grades, RS ("rifle-shotgun", 2F equivalent) and P ("pistol", 3F equivalent). Made by Hodgdon powder company, they also make Triple 7. It also comes in two grades, 2F and 3F. In the east you probably won't find the loose powder (plastic jugs) available, but pellets. I think they are 30 and 50 grains each, .45 and .50 caliber, but I don't know about .54 caliber. Goex Pinnacle is also made in 2F and 3F grades, loose and 50 grain "E-Z loads" (pellets), .45 and .50 caliber. I have not used it. Don't know about Pioneer. I have used Pyrodex RS and the Triple 7 loose powder both in caplocks and flintlocks (with a small black powder booster charge). See my posts under Flintlock forum 9/24/05 "2 types of powder for the main charge" and in Percussion forum 8/21/05 "Re: 777 and prb".

I have been using American Pioneer Powder in my Thompson Center Percussion Sidelocks, and inlines for about five years. No problems. I use it as a same volume as black powder. Also just started using Pinnacle, also loading volume, same as black powder. This is for FFG loads.

Back