• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:thumbsup: :hatsoff: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

It is an outstanding job with exceptional quality. :applause: :bow: :bow: :bow: I was wondering that If I wanna make smtn similar,should I use handfiles or should I use Dremel? Have ya used any machinework with this beauty? Or just countless hours of filing needs to be done? Heelp pleeease! :confused: :)

I just used files, a saw, chissel, and an electric orbital sander to rough shape of the wood plug. This is my fist horn and I went slowly because I did not want to mess it up. The book on horns from Scott Sibley was a great help.
Bill K

A dremel is the fastest way known to mess it up! :winking: If you have the right files it goes pretty quick unless you get into some real fancy carving,but some good stuff can be made with just a half round, a 1/4" square and a 1/8" rattail.

Thx! :bow: :bow:
I have a horn which I've made it in my teens.Pretty lousy scrimshaw on it.Can I remove this old scrimshaw with sanding? I'd like to make somtn nice on it.What should I use to make it look patinated or antique looking afterwards?
I appreciate it.
WB :confused:

I am not an expert, but I think you can remove the old scrimshaw by sanding the horn down. I guess it will also depends on how deep the scrimshaw is cut on it.
With regards to giving the horn an antique look, you can use a number of dyes and stains to do that. I used RYT dye as shown in the scott Sibley's book.

Billk

Its easier to scrape it off with a sharp knife.You don't have all those tiny scratches to deal with.A good scraping and some polishing with oooo steel wool will take care of it for the most part.If you do go the sandpaper route, be prepared to go up to 400 grit paper; and it will give you a "plastic" look.Sometimes I'll give it a good working over with 80-120-150 and then scrape it smooth.

Billk
Are you sure you didn't steal it out of a MUSEUM? Nice work looks to be 200 years old. :hatsoff:

Just a suggestion---try to sand it thin enough to get rid of the scratches as well as thin enough to pass light through so one may see the powder inside. :thumbsup:

Back