• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new member with .54 renegade question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dh9

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All,

What a great site. Looking forward to learning alot from you guys. I have been shooting muzzleloaders for a few years now. I have been shooting maxi balls out of the renegade because I thought you needed a 66 twist to shoot prb's. I guess that is not the case. Can you give me some load suggestions for prb's for this rifle. My second issue is I dropped the rifle and now have about a 3 inch hairline crack in the stock on the left side running through the screw or bolt on that side. Is it safe to shoot in this condition? Can I get a replacement stock or repair this one?

DDH said:
Hi All,

What a great site. Looking forward to learning alot from you guys. I have been shooting muzzleloaders for a few years now. I have been shooting maxi balls out of the renegade because I thought you needed a 66 twist to shoot prb's. I guess that is not the case. Can you give me some load suggestions for prb's for this rifle. My second issue is I dropped the rifle and now have about a 3 inch hairline crack in the stock on the left side running through the screw or bolt on that side. Is it safe to shoot in this condition? Can I get a replacement stock or repair this one?

Howdy, and welcome! For PRB's, I would start with 55 gr. FFFg and work up from there. For patching, I use pillow ticking or denum. For lube, I usually use Old Zip from Dixie Gun Works. As far as the stock crack, I'm sorry, but you will need to ask someone else what to do there. There are stocks for sale all the time on ebay.

DDH said:
Hi All,

If you could post a picture of the crack , it would help for someone to tell you what to do if it can be fixed. Also you may get an answer for the fix easier over in the Gun Builders section .

Woodhick,

The crack is so fine I don't think it would photo well. I'll take a look on ebay for a stock.

Thanks

Thompson Center rifles have a lifetime warranty as long as it was not a kit gun..Give em a call..

DDH said:
Hi All,

I would first try to repair the crack before buying a new stock.

I'm going to assume your Renegade is a 1:48 ROT, the same as my Lyman trade rifle. It shoots PRB very well, and mine prefers a .530 ball with .020 pre-lubed patches along with 75 grains Goex. Yours may like a different combination but that's half the fun, finding out the most accurate load for your particular rifle. I also get good accuracy with the Buffalo Ball-ets, the Lee REAL bullets and Dead Center conicals using milder powder charges, 60-70 grains. I find that adding a lubed fiber wad tightens up the groups when shooting conicals too. Hope this helps!

Hi and welcome,
i have three renegades in the house, for loads i use 50 grs of 2f for targets and 80 grs for hunting.
i use good ol lard for lube. in the .54 round ball is all you need.
i shot through a doe this last year-spine shot.
dead when i got to her. in my guns rb shoots better than the conical, play with different loads. far as the stock goes, send it to tc.

Thompson Center will most likely replace your stock. If you want to try them DO NOT attempt any repairs on your own. Also DO NOT call or email them. Pack the gun and send it to the service manager with a note explaining what you want done. TC has been very good to me but they will ultimately decide on the repair.
EB

Oh, yes, welcome to the forum. This is the best run forum on the web.

Thanks to all for reminding me about the life time warranty. I mailed her to TC today! :wink:

TC replaced my Renegade stock a few years ago when it had a crack.

My 54cal Renegade likes 100gr FFG Goex or KIK with a .530 roundball and a .015 patch. I lube my patches with Mink Oil from Track of the Wolf. It also likes the Hoppes #9 patch lube. With this load I can cloverleaf at 50yds.

I would start with 60-70gr of powder and go from there. You might try some bore button wads over the powder to.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Kirk

I got a 54 Renegade back in '83. I normally use a MaxiBall with 120 grains. On a rare occasion I'll use a patched roundball with 100 grains. The rifling is a bit shallower than other rifles meant strictly with PRB's so I've used thinner patch material. The MaxiBall, though less traditional, is hard to beat when comparing performance. The MaxiBall out of my rifle will shoot about 3" lower at 75 yards than a PRB, so sighting in will be a must if you convert.

My .54 Renegade likes 100 grn FFg w/ .430 maxi balls and 80 grn FFg w. PRB [speers that dad left] w/ T.C patches and both hit the same place...

90 gr. FFF-Goex
1/8"oxYoke bore button
.018 pillow ticking+Hhoppe's black powder solvent and lube
.530 round ball
FFFF-Goex prime

35-40 yards- 11-2009-spine- right lung- pass through

Back off the powder charge with the maxi! your crack should be fine.

IMG_0297_1.jpg

My .54 Renegade likes 90g (volume equivalent) of pyrodex Select with a pillow tick patch and .530 balls. I use a musket cap.

I am not trying to insult you, but is that average size for a spike buck in WI? In my part of Arkansas, we pass that one by because it would be a fawn!

I would get hold of Thompson Center to get a new stock. If your barrel is a 1" in 48 twist it will shoot maxi balss and round ball just fine. I have have had on for 25 years and I have shoot deer with round balls and maxi balls. I usually use 90 grs 2f for maxi and 75-80 with round balls. I have found that I don't have to adjust my sights for the drop in powder charge adjust the difference in the weight of projectiles. The new power built bullets shoot well in my Renegade also. My Renegade is a 54 Cal. I have taken deer from my first that was a button buck that dressed 53 lbs to a 14 pt buck that dressed 195 lbs.

I would be cautious about returning it to TC,I have heard that they replace Renegade stocks with the newer type Renegade Hunter stock(rubber pad and single trigger)the crack would not be to hard to repair...PM me if you need help...on another note I once had a 54 Renegade...it shot really good..I was impressed

Back