• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member intro

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddydog

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello to the Forum!

I found this site over the weekend while researching the purchase of a Brown Bess musket. I was imppressed by the detailed knowledge on display so decided to join up. Spoiler alert: I did buy the Bessie!

I bought my first BP arm somewhere around 1985 when I was 15. Talked my dad into letting me buy a C&B revolver for target shooting and home defense : ) . I don't think he was fooled by that. That CVA brass-frame 1861 Navy .44 was the start of my love of firearms and history (yeah, I know that that gun isn't a copy of anything real).

Since that humble beginning, I have added quite a few more black powder guns, includng flintlocks, percussions, breachloaders and BP cartridge guns. I've never hunted with any of them, just casual shooting and a couple of side matches with the C&B guns when I was shooting CAS. Here's the current line-up (all replicas, sadly):

CVA .44 C&B 1861 Navy (brass frame)
CVA .31 C&B Wells Fargo pocket (brass)
3-barrel "Duckfoot" percussion pistol replica
T/C .50 Flintlock Hawken (built from kit)
CVA .45 Filntlock Tower pistol (kit)
Traditions .50 percussion pistol (kit, never finished)
Pietta .36 C&B 1951 Navy (steel)
Uberti .44 C&B 1860 Army (steel)
Euroarms .58 percussion 1863 Remington "Zouave" rifle
Euroarms (?) 12 Ga percussion Coach Gun SxS
Euroarms (?) .54 percussion Sharps Carbine
Pedersoli .75 flintlock 2nd Model Brown Bess Musket (on the way!)

I also mentioned BP Cartridge guns. These are originals:

US 1866 Trapdoor Rifle (2nd Model Allen) in 50/70 (shortened barrel, rear sight removed)
Remington Egyptian Rolling Block in .43 Egypt
Martini-Henry Mk III in 577-450 MH
Swiss Vetterli bolt-action .41 RF
Unknown .52 caliber Snider-type carbine

Wow. That's quite a list. I'll never get out to shoot them all. Can't imagine cleaning them all! : )

Rob

Whoa! Forgot one pretty major one. I do have one original muzzleloader. It is a late 19th C percussion double with one rifle barrel and one smooth bore. I bought it from an aquantance and dealer who does a lot of African safari hunting. He had planned to take it to Africa, but changed his mind. IIRC it is a 12 ga x .72 rifle, or something like that. I haven't fired it yet, but maybe it and the new Bessie can go out together sometime soon.

Rob

Latest posts

Back