• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member from California

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diver805

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello to everyone out there. I was doing some research recently and found this awesome community I didn’t know existed. I don’t know where to post this, so I’ll try posting it here. Forgive me, I’m sure you have newbies all the time thinking they’ve found some sort of treasure. I found something a month ago that was intriguing to me. I found it in low tide zone, off the coast of Santa Barbara/ Goleta. Can someone please let me know that I did not find a cannon. Thank You!

Attachments

• 5671E013-709A-43F3-B078-6E08E5DF9F02.jpeg
    5671E013-709A-43F3-B078-6E08E5DF9F02.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
Welcome from Maine. Post your questions in General muzzleloading. This thread is for introductions only. And you will get a better response.
Nit Wit

Welcome from CA. You may already know this but there's still some unexploded ordinance along the central coast. So be careful what you dig up. There's also old pipelines from offshore wells that have been capped. I've also heard stories about the military setting up tank & anti-aircraft decoys (just pipes under camo netting) during WW2 to make any potential Japanese spy planes think the central coast was better defended than it was. A lot of that stuff was just abandoned after the war.

Can't say I'm as familiar with the SB coastline as Morro Bay. But that part of the Central Coast has a few other possibilities besides canons.

If you did find a canon, I'd think it would be exceedingly rare. Without good roads, moving canons around was extremely difficult. During the transition from Spain to Mexico, there were some big Indian rebellions & the Mexican army had a hard time keeping control of the inland areas. It took a while before they could get a canon out to (what is now) Modesto to deal with Estanislao's rebellion & blow the palisades. If one sunk off a shipwreck, I'd guess it would be found pretty close to where it fell since they don't float a bit.

Welcome from CA. You may already know this but there's still some unexploded ordinance along the central coast. So be careful what you dig up. There's also old pipelines from offshore wells that have been capped. I've also heard stories about the military setting up tank & anti-aircraft decoys (just pipes under camo netting) during WW2 to make any potential Japanese spy planes think the central coast was better defended than it was. A lot of that stuff was just abandoned after the war.

Can't say I'm as familiar with the SB coastline as Morro Bay. But that part of the Central Coast has a few other possibilities besides canons.

If you did find a canon, I'd think it would be exceedingly rare. Without good roads, moving canons around was extremely difficult. During the transition from Spain to Mexico, there were some big Indian rebellions & the Mexican army had a hard time keeping control of the inland areas. It took a while before they could get a canon out to (what is now) Modesto to deal with Estanislao's rebellion & blow the palisades. If one sunk off a shipwreck, I'd guess it would be found pretty close to where it fell since they don't float a bit.
Thank you for your thoughtful response! I had a hard time believing that it is indeed a cannon, but my adventurous mind likes to think “ what if”? I do know there were cannons found on the beach (Goleta Beach), roughly 20 miles south of this location, in the mid 80’s. Although that location, at one time, was a working harbor. I also understood it to be an old pipe, especially when I found it. But I really appreciate your time, and for you sharing that information. I got a lot of responses from this community, but yours was very informative.

Welcome from East TN
Welcome from New York State's Central-Leatherstocking region.

Looks like cast sewer pipe. Does a magnet stick to it? (Some was cast ceramic & some cast iron)
Thanks Stump! I will do a magnet check the next time I come across it. We’ve had some big swells here in California the last couple months, so it might be covered by sand by now. I do have a buddy who metal detects though. I appreciate your response!

Back