• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New life for a old knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this old rusty blade a few years ago on a jobsite. I ran it under a wire wheel to remove the rust and put in my toolbox and quickly forgot about it. I came across it again last week and decided to do something with it.
I went to the local pet store and bought a deer antler chew toy found some brass and leather. And made a new handle.

20230209_183906.jpg

20230211_152718.jpg

Then I need a sheath. So off to hobby lobby and I bought some leather working supplies. This was my first attempt working with leather but I'm happy with it. With help from YouTube you really can make almost anything.

20230211_202840.jpg

20230211_215207.jpg

Very nice craft project! I have a nearby Hobby Lobby too. I find the pet store "horn" to be brittle, almost like ceramic; they fire it or something to comply with contageous disease interstate laws or something. Good that you had luck with yours, thanks for the post.
Thanks. It didn't seem brittle but I really have no comparison to a "fresh one" I mostly hunt hogs and fowl here in socal. Hopefully one day I'll get a chance at a deer.

Did the antler say where it was from or what the company name is?
I have a friend here in town that does that as his company. Its called Boneafide Antlers. He cuts them up and sells them by the ton.

Did the antler say where it was from or what the company name is?
I have a friend here in town that does that as his company. Its called Boneafide Antlers. He cuts them up and sells them by the ton.

That's a lot of antlers. Where does he get them all from?
It had exl stamped on the bottom or I guess tip side. I don't remember if the display had a name on it or not. I'll check next time I'm there. We have 4 dogs so I'm usually there every other week buying food.

Thats a really nice job bringing an old blade back to life. Years back I found an old stainless filleting blade at work. It was pretty bent up, only about three inches off the tip was usable. I set it in a deer leg bone, and it has become the go to skinning knife at deer camp. Thats where it is now or I would post a photo.

Latest posts

Back