• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Kibler kit coming soon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Major Dorman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I got an email last night about the new Jim Kibler kit. It may be available by the end of the year.

"The new Colonial Rifle kit will be pre-rev war (1760's - 1770's) rifle in styling, brass mounted and available in .50 and .54 calibers. It will have a round faced English lock. The buttplate will be a little over 2" wide and a touch over 5" tall. The barrel will be 1.125" at the breech, taper to around .800" and flare to around .870". The barrel length will be 43.25"."

I bought his SMR kit last year. It is a very good looking and good shooting gun.

Jason

With 1 1/8 th breech that could get turned into a 58 cal. way cool!

My nephew pointed out the update Saturday...

(Total conjecture). With the round faced English lock it sounds like an actual early Virginia rifle. Would blow my mind if based on the Tulip rifle. More likely related to the Haymaker rifle or the Woodsrunner rifle.

It sounds all good to me!.
any one of those would be nice!
Primarily a flintlock hunter..
2x5 butt ,roundfaced lock 43.5" bbl swamped...
I'm in!

Kibler is revolutionizing the kit business. Only downside is lack of real customization for fit, furniture choices etc. There will still be room for real customization with other parts sets or building from self-selected and fabricated pastes. But for the enthusiast who wants a top quality rifle with outstanding architecture and top quality parts, his kits will dominate the market because they are better and easier to assemble.

He's a top notch builder and teacher with rare artistic ability. Add entrepreneurial skills and we have another Jim Chambers, updated.

Hi...the thought just struck me as to how much wood will be allotted for the carving behind the cheekpiece? The other areas that usually have carving can be carved w/ no wood allowance. Of course the area behind the cheekpiece can be carved likewise, but it's easier w/ the wood allowance....Fred

Fred, knowing the kind of work Jim Kibler can do, I'd not be surprised if it came already carved.

Ok maybe that's an exaggeration. 1/32" extra here and there should be enough for most Colonial carving.

I'm rather excited about the new kit. Very much looking forward to you, Dave Person, Fred and others giving an evaluation of it.

I'm kind of hoping for an early Lancaster rifle, though any nice early rifle will do fine.

Gus

Gus, I haven't built a kit gun since 1976 but I suspect it would be worthwhile in this case to put one together, finish it and sell it. I know a number of fellas doing that with Kibler's Southern mountain rifle kit. I don't "need" any more guns for my own use.

Rich,

I wasn't meaning to build a kit, but rather what county of PA or other place of origin the kit would wind up making into a rifle.

I would love to see the kit be correct for FIW, but the beginning date of 1760 gets it into the tail end of that period. Actually, I'd like to see something correct for about 1750..... If I had my druthers, I'd rather have my druthers, than do anything I know..... (This last from the musical Lil Abner) :haha:

Gus

Although I'm presently working on my last MLer {Bucks County} , I think I'll buy one of Kibler's next offering. My eyes will suffice for this kit and even if it's an early Virginia, possibly it can be made into an early Lancaster seeing both have similar stock architectures. The only roadblocks in doing this would be the trigger guard and perhaps the buttplate. The reason for doing this is that I prefer Lancaster carving to Virginia carving.

I'm hoping that Kibler chooses the early Lancaster.....and if it's real early, it would nearly be a generic PA LR because the "schools" or area styles weren't that evolved......Fred

Gus, nobody can agree on what is a 1750's rifle here.

How many people toting rifles were there? The population of the colonies exploded by the 1770s.
How many Colonial gunsmiths were building rifles versus mostly doing repairs in the 1750's?
What proportion of 1750's rifles were made here versus imported? And what proportion of imports were English, German, or Dutch? What did each of those imports look like, generally?

My main interest is in the early rifles made here, and I have my favorite candidate 1750s Colonial made rifles. Most of these are largely unknown except for s few rabid students.

For all viewers, RCA stands for Shumway's 2 volume set of Rifles of Colonial America. He numbered the rifles and we refer to them that way.

RCA 19 has characteristics we would expect in a 1750's to 1770's rifle. Furniture is early with Baroque finials on the guard. I built a close copy, stocked in walnut and with an octagon to round, .54 rifled barrel.

RCA 40 has an open, early guard that would seem out of place on a 1770's rifle. It's very robust. I built a rifle based on this one in .58 caliber.

There are a couple others in RCA that could be 1750s rifles but I don't have the book handy. RCA 17 (if I recall correctly) is a smooth rifle which is tentatively and cautiously attributed to William Antes and late 1750s.

A rifle known as the Musicians rifle has a scratched in date of 1756 inside the 2 piece brass box. This rifle is elegant and if not stocked in maple and having a 2 piece brass box, would pass for a European rifle. Note it was clearly never a rifle.

A rifle known as the tulip rifle with a rounded cheekpiece, stocked in maple, sure looks like it predates 1770 and there's nothing on it that precludes it from being 1750s. The furniture is Baroque in character.

There are 2 rifles Shumway featured in Muzzle Blasts magazine in the 1980s that are easily 1750s or possibly earlier and stocked in plain maple and collected here. On both the barrels are 36-37" long, large bore, and extremely thick at the breech. Because of the maple stocking it seems likely they were made here. Wish I could post photos from magazine articles but these are copyright restricted.

Does anyone else here have favorite early rifles that are candidates for the 1750s? I know some folks feel the Faber rifle could be that early. I've handled it and it's a dandy.

I'd surely like to see what the earliest Lancaster rifles looked like; rifles made before Dickert's earliest known rifles. Likely also had the triangular buttstock, sliding wooden patchbox, much like the earliest English trade rifles sent here.

Rich Pierce said:
A rifle known as the Musicians rifle has a scratched in date of 1756 inside the 2 piece brass box. This rifle is elegant and if not stocked in maple and having a 2 piece brass box, would pass for a European rifle. Note it was clearly never a rifle.

Oops placed that sentence "Note it was clearly never a rifle" in wrong place. Musicians rifle had a rifled barrel. RCA 17 had a big smooth bore barrel.

flehto said:
Although I'm presently working on my last MLer {Bucks County} , I think I'll buy one of Kibler's next offering. My eyes will suffice for this kit and even if it's an early Virginia, possibly it can be made into an early Lancaster seeing both have similar stock architectures. Fred

Fred,

I'm not nearly as good as you and others on stock styling, but I was glad to see this because I had come to think this was true, but didn't know for sure.

Gus

Back