• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Inheritance

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakeklr

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Can anyone lead me to Identify this rifle? I am stuck between Jaeger or a baker rifle. What has me baffles is the forearm mount and the butt stock mount.

Percussion, .62 cal, riffled bore, 38.5" barrel length, Octagon Barrel, There are no markings anywhere I have taken the entire thing apart to look for anything.

pictures

Most of the parts look English (styled at least).

It is neither a Baker or a Jaeger.

Looks more along the lines of what is referred to as an English "Deer Park" rifle.

Basically, a non-descript sporting rifle - however, it would normally be a half-stock.

This one is odd.

If it was English it would almost certainly have proof marks.

May not be as old as it initially appears..

Looks like a civilian hunting rifle and possibly a conversion from flint. More detailed pictures of lock and breech area would be a help. Interesting rifle for sure.

Added more pics If needed I will tear it down again for anyone that needs more detail pics.

Thank you for all the help!

This is an English sporting rifle...

veisey.jpg

veisey3.jpg

Billnpatti said:
That's a beautiful rifle. Yours?

I got it from MLAGB founder member Peter Asquith just before he died. My buddy Gordon arrived first and got the Rigby. I think Peter must have approved of me because he sold me this choked .451" for the bargain price of £1450 and included a bag full of accessories. I did not dicker the price, he got what he asked.

He said he'd shown it to de Witt Bailey who said it looked like the kind of thing the Victorians took up to Scotland to shoot at deer from 400 yards. I won the MLML 100 yard offhand postal with this. It was a sort of Zen competition, you had to think the bullet to the target :hmm:

Well, you got a beauty. Congrats on a fine acquisition and good luck with it on the range or in the woods.

Mate, I would have thought it was an English long-range target rifle, much like a Gibbs, or Rigby, looks like it is Henry Rifled. Lovely piece and I bet a real pleasure to shoot.

Cheers

heelerau

I am no expert on rifles, I simply repeat what I have been told. It does have a picture of a deer on the patch box and it is extremely pointable.

Back