• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Hunting Bag.... Pictures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowpoke

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a new hunting bag today... thought I'd do a little bragging.

Slowpoke

fowlerbag0002.jpg

A beauty! Who's the artist?

What's in the little 'compass pouch' on the left strap? Caps? I like that idea for carrying my grease tin in case it leaks, so it won't leech into the rest of the pouch. Might just have to steal it for my next pouch.

Hope it serves you well.

I have no idea what that little pouch is for.... I might stick my jags, puller, and such in there, I don't know. The maker was a guy named Speedy Hogarth out of Maryland. He live right down the road from me. It's a fowler bag and has a lot of compartment and has a dividerr in the middle to keep my shot and ball supplies seperated. The short starter is elk, powder measurer is a turkey bone, vent pick is a old skeleton key, and brush is made of elk and a straw broom.

Slowpoke

If shootin' flintlocks, I would carry extra flints in the little bag...

Is that a corn-cob short starter I see on the other strap, or is it the way the light is hitting it?

A row of red pony beads along the flap will set this off for me, er, I mean you...
grin.gif

quote:
Is that a corn-cob short starter I see on the other strap, or is it the way the light is hitting it?
grin.gif
[/QB]It is a short starter but it's made out of an elk bone.

Slowpoke

quote:Originally posted by Morrisey:
That's beautiful work, Slowpoke. Does Speedy have a website? Speedy doesn't have a website, but he does do beautiful work. Everything is hand stiched and are guarenteed for life. Now that said, they're not cheap, around $200... $250 for a set up like this. Speedy is well know around the Mid-Atlantic area. He attends all the Rondys and market fairs around here. Really a good guy too. He's making me another bag that is a hunting bag. It's half the size of a regular hunting bag. I'll post another picture when I pick it up in 3 weeks... Like I said, he has to hand make them.

Slowpoke

Showed your shooting bag to my wife...

She said, "NICE PURSE, WHERE CAN I GET ONE LIKE THAT?"
rolleyes.gif

Nice possibles poke.

"On starting for a hunt, the trapper fits himself out with the necessary equipment, either from the Indian trading-forts, or from some of the petty traders -- coureurs des bois -- who frequent the western country. This equipment consists usually of two or three horses or mules - one for saddle, the others for packs - and six traps, which are carried in a bag of leather called a trap-sack. Ammunition, a few pounds of tobacco, dressed deer-skins for moccasins, &c., are carried in a wallet of dressed buffalo-skin called a possible-sack. His "possibles" and "trap-sack" are generally carried on the saddle-mule when hunting, the others being packed with the furs. The costume of the trapper is a hunting-shirt of dressed buckskin, ornamented with long fringes; pantaloons of the same material, and decorated with porcupine-quills and long fringes down the outside of the leg, a flexible felt hat and moccasins clothe his extremities. Over his left shoulder and under his right arm hang his powder-horn and bullet-pouch, in which he carries his balls, flint and steel, and odds and ends of all kinds. Round the waist is a belt, in which is stuck a large butcher-knife in a sheath of buffalo-hide, made fast to the belt by a chain or guard of steel; which also supports a little buckskin case containing a whetstone. A tomahawk is also often added; and, of course, a long heavy rifle is part and parcel of his equipment. I had nearly forgotten the pipe-holder, which hangs round his neck, and is generally a gage d'amour, and a triumph of squaw workmanship, in shape of a heart, garnished with beads and porcupine-quills." Ruxton

Reminds me of a joke:

O'Mally and Goldberg are at the club preparing for a game and Goldberg notices O'Mally take off a bra and toss in in his locker.

"When did you start wearing a bra?" asks Goldberg.

"The moment my wife found it under the front seat of my car." replies O'Mally.

Latest posts

Back