• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Horn in progress

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebuse

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, here's my next horn, let me know if you think I can improve. I'll keep updating as I go.

Preacher

P1000295.jpg

newhorn1.jpg

newhorn2.jpg

:hatsoff: Your off to another great start Preacher. I like the shape of the engrailing (spl?) what did you use for a tool to cut that shape?
Soggy

Nice looking horn to start with.From TOW? Did you use a chisel when you made that square ornament?[url] http://cows-finland.org/gallery/Blackhand[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Preacher,
Outstanding! Can't wait to see the
finished horn.
snake-eyes :bow:

Well, here's my next horn, let me know if you think I can improve.

Yep. Engrave the words "Stumpkiller's Horn" on the side and maybe a hunting scene or a map of the forts of New York around the time of the Revolution. :winking: I'll send you my address when it's done. :grin:

Well, I thought I’d keep this one basic”¦make it to pretty, and I won’t wan’ a take it in the woods. However, when I ordered the horns, I ordered two”¦so, the next one will be more fancy. But it's done, sorry; I sanded the scrimshaw off the butt and redid it a bit. oh yeah...the reason it didn't take that long...I've been sitting at home trying to pass a kidney-stone. The other thing you'll notice, I kept the butt-end it's natural shape...thought the teardrop shape added a bit of character. Well, here it is.

Preacher

newhorn7.jpg

newhorn8.jpg

newhorn010.jpg

newhorn6.jpg

Okay...So I changed my mind...it happens.

P1000312.jpg

Sorry...It's my name...not yours.

Preacher

Alright...For the nozzle, I used a whole bottle of Dark Brown RIT dye in 2 gallons of water brought to a boil then dipped just the nozzle until I got the color I wanted. For the rest I used a half a bottle of Tan RIT Dye and a whole packet of Orange Powder RIT dye in 2 gallons of water brought to a boil and for dipping, I did the same. Then after it was totally done, I went over the whole thing with a coat of Dark Walnut Minwax Stain. Then after I did the scrimshaw I went over the whole thing with a second coat of stain. RIT dye you can get at Wal-Mart in the Laundry supply section. And that's that.

Preacher :thumbsup:

Seems to hold up. You could always rub in a coat of linseed oil and let it dry. But I havn't had any problems.

Preacher :hatsoff:

Very nice work.

I have read that using yellow Rit with a little golden brown Rit imparts a nice color to the body of a horn. Two packets of dark brown, with a pinch of black are supposed to give a rich, dark brown color to the neck.

I have also heard, though I haven't tried it, that aqua fortis on the neck gives a nice black. Rubbing the neck with olive oil after the aqua fortis treatment removes the scaley appearance.

The reports I have recieved of using Rit as a horn dye have suggested that Rit is pretty color fast, even with hard use.

J.D.

Okay...I couldn't stand all the blank space that needed something...

newhorn013.jpg

newhorn012.jpg

I hope it looks good, this only my second horn.

Preacher :hatsoff:

Back