• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed your tomahawk so much I went out and bought a KRJ forged tomahawk [through John Donelson] and can't wait to pretty up the handle as well

preliminary photo
hawkset.jpg

I feel like a dork, I couldn't get the files to heat up enough to burn a design into the wood. I tried a small hand held butane torch at first, then threw them into the propane BBQ for 10 minutes, and they were not hot enough to burn the handle. Soooo, I fail :rotf: I got some brass tacks in there for now, they look good..except a few that were bent a bit but oh well, I like em

A propane tourch isn`t enough heat for the file but will work for small brands if ya can make some of those.
You could make a fire and lay a file in the coals and it should get hot enough. :thumbsup:

Nice looking hawk! I've got a KRJ that was given to me & a couple of HB's. Where'd you get that KRJ?

...those are some nice hawks... what company does KRJ stand for and can I find them on the web?
Bob

I just e-mailed him. He is great to do business with. Got the hawk yesturday...its nice!!!

I am no artist, and probably could have had the file a bit hotter as getting a consistent burn was harder than I thought but oh well, there's a small crack forming from the brass nails I put in :cursing:
n579873406_873749_9264.jpg

had a small log and some old rotting 2x4s, quickly nailed them up and they quickly fell over :rotf: :shake:

n579873406_873757_5679.jpg

Claude said:
JohnnyO said:
... there's a small crack forming from the brass nails I put in :cursing:

I always pre-drill my holes and add a little epoxy before driving in the tacks. It makes the tacks easier to drive into a hard wood and prevents spliting.

Good idea! I'll definitely keep that in mind next time! :v

I learned a neat trick from an old carpenter to avoid any cracks when nailing something.
Put the head of the nail upon a hard surface and slightly tap the point of the nail with your hammer to blunt it a bit. If you then drive the nail into the wood it wont split - neverr will - just try it out - you will see! :thumbsup:

Back