• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitchyPine

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought this up in Bemidji today at the BP store, it`s stamped KRJ and forged. Put the handle on it myself. Is there something i can do to fancy it up a little.

newhawk1.jpg

It would tickle my fancy if ya sent it to me..Guess that wont work for ya

Take a old coarse file and heat it up HOT. Roll the handle over it to make a spiral pattern.

It will go around just like you were wrapping with tape, it that makes sense.

Very PC decoration. :thumbsup:

Pichou said:
Take a old coarse file and heat it up HOT. Roll the handle over it to make a spiral pattern.

It will go around just like you were wrapping with tape, it that makes sense.

Very PC decoration. :thumbsup:

WindWalker are you talking about the same kind of file work as Pichou and do ya have a picture of the file work.
Rick my friend it`s my first Hawk can`t give ya this one. I`m going to try making some Hawks from ball peen hammers soon, we`ll see what develops there

If your hawks are anything like your knives, they'll be fine pieces of work indeed!

To "fancy" that hawk up, you might try cutting out a design in the center of the blade. I've seen a number with the weeping heart. Don't know whether a different design, like a star, would weaken the blade.

A turtle cut-out would look different.
Or you could engrave a map of Minnesota, or Lake Superior right onto the blade.

Mr. PitchyPine,
No, though that is an interesting idea.
I am referring to the filing of various sorts of "notches" around the perimeter of the blade, not including the cutting edge. Very pleasing to our eye and easy to do.
Quite common on custom knives and the occasional tomahawk.
Best Wishes

Seeing this is going to be my throwing hawk I don`t want much hanging on it. Tried out the hot file and a weeping heart brand.
Looks better in person.

hawkhandle1.jpg

hawkhandle2.jpg

I had a hard time finding pics, but here are a couple of worn examples.

502_4497AB.jpg

491_G_1393.jpg

A cool detail on the heads is not a cutout, exactly, but a cutout filled with brass. Moons, full or crescent are common.

Thanks for the picsm are there file marks on those, hard to see if there are.
Also as ya can see the guy left the forge scale on the blade, do ya think i should grind it smooth or leave as is.
Thanks.

Yeah those aren't the best pics (AMNH-North American Ethnographic Collection and Autry National Center).

They are really worn but yeah they were branded in a spiral using a hot file.

I don't think that's forge scale, I think that's "heavy patina." :haha:
But those are both pipe hawks... I think they were more finished. You're probably ok to leave it on a utility head.

Thanks, I was talking about the rough service on my blade from forging and wheth to remove it or not. :hmm:

That's a nice hawk Lenn!! I can't wait to see what you do with a ball peen! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thankd bud, i`ve been trying to find a old ball peen hammer somewhere but of course when ya want one there no where to be found :haha:
I`m looking forward to trying that myself. :thumbsup:

dang Pitchy! ya dun good!!! I like it! :thumbsup: very cool..personalized like! :wink: :hatsoff:

Back