• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New from SW PA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByGeorge

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi.
I just found this excellent forum, but have been around this stuff since I was a kid. My uncle, George Lopata ( in case there are any of you from the area, who remember him), built a number of long rifles, and some beautiful knives.

My aunt gave me one of his unfinished Jaegers when he passed, and the plan is to get it together.

In order to get some experience, I purchased an older T/C .50 hawken rifle in a local shop. I stripped it apart, figured out how everything works, inlet the the lock better( there was an ugly gap between the pan and barrel), and reshaped some of the clunkier sections of the stock ( it looks like maybe it was a kit-gun). Refinished, and back together, it shoots well.

There's a great shop near here called Cooperstown Trading Post, that has been a good source of info. Found the name in one of my uncle's books. Turns out, it's less than 3 miles from my place.

Earlier this summer, we took the kids to Williamsburg, and found a few great-looking Jaeger rifles in the museum. These gave me a better idea of what they were all about. There seems to be less info availible about them than the longer PA/KY style rifles.

Anyway, I'll post some pics as things go along, and try not to ask too many obvious questions.
Thanks, in advance.

Chris

Chris,

It's great to hear of another yunzer here besides me. I like when I say yunz, pop, gum band, worsh, redd up, the point, mon, hoagie, or chipped ham and someone else knows exactly what I mean. "LOL"

I was born in pittsburgh but I was raised a little east of greensburg. Just wanted to say hello to a fellow southwestern pennsylvanian.

GO STEELERS, Frank

Very cool, what are the odds of another Primanti's fan signing up on the same day?

Back