• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New englander sight options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paradork

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a steal of a deal on a TC New Englander. Rifle had a scope on it, pulled that off. Tried sighting the gun in with the provided sights. Looks like stock sights. Dovetail front and adjustable rear. Anyhow, I have the rear sight cranked all the way down, the screw is interfering with sighting and the gun is still 6 inches high at 25 and 50 with prb. Kinda like the idea of a peep but am willing to look at other options. Looked at midway and all they have is fiber sights. Any sight suggestions.

Williams Gun Sight Co. has a great rear sight for your rifle. Their WGOS Series are adjustable for windage and elevation. The catalog is in front of me now. The WGOS rear sight for the New Englander is #51103, you an select a number of slides for it. Either a square notch, or U or V.

Bob

What do YOU like.

If you are not re-enacting etc, put on something you like and will allow you to shoot well.

One of my "hunting" rifles (patterned after an 1840's fullstock Ohio) has a ramp style rear sight (off a Winchester Model 94) and a fiber-optic front sight (dovetail base) from Hi-Viz.

Period correct - not in the least - even remotely possible on the original rifle - no way.

But reason - if Messir's Crocket or Boone could have put a "glow in the dark" on the front and an adjustable ramp on the back they certainly would have (ok, maybe wishful thinking on my part - but I'm not going to miss a shot at bambi because I'm trying to look through a full buckhorn at a steel front blade at last light)...

galamb said:
But reason - if Messir's Crocket or Boone could have put a "glow in the dark" on the front and an adjustable ramp on the back they certainly would have...
You people do exist. :rotf:

Ok, you are forcing me to share this rare photo of Davey's rifle, found hidden under the floor boards of his last known residence..

daveysscope_zps133c77c6.jpg

You need a taller front sight. I would try a silver blade from TOTW, or a gold bead from Marbles. I put this latter on my .54 Grey Hawk barrel.

By filing an angle on the rear of a front blade they tend to reflect light, so appear to glow in the woods. They might need a bit of sight black on a sunny day at the range... :haha:

I'm thinking you need at least 1/16" taller front sight by extrapolating 6" high at 50 yards to 12moa, and guessing 18" sight radius, so .005" per moa. 1/8" taller should give your rear sight adjustment back.

galamb said:
Ok, you are forcing me to share this rare photo of Davey's rifle, found hidden under the floor boards of his last known residence..

daveysscope_zps133c77c6.jpg

Whodathunkit? :doh: A long eye relief Zeis levitating over the barrel. :rotf:

I don't think that Zeiss scope has enough eye relief, but I sure would like to get a set of those invisible scope rings. :grin:

LorD 1776 said:
I don't think that Zeiss scope has enough eye relief, but I sure would like to get a set of those invisible scope rings. :grin:

It appears that we both had similar thoughts and posted at the same time. :hmm:

"It appears that we both had similar thoughts and posted at the same time."

Hmmm, either it was a strange coincidence, orrrrrr ....

We are actually mind-linked twins who were separated at birth, and our mother was very slow at getting the job done. :wink:

LorD 1776 said:
"It appears that we both had similar thoughts and posted at the same time."

Hmmm, either it was a strange coincidence, orrrrrr ....

We are actually mind-linked twins who were separated at birth, and our mother was very slow at getting the job done. :wink:

Yeah, like 8 years slow. :rotf: :eek:ff

C'mon, guys. That scope ain't real.That's photoshopped.

I've seen that rifle in the museum -- scope is matte silver, not black.

Black scope on that rifle would be an abomination.

Use a TC peep on my left hand .458" bore New Englander. Works fine with my eyes, 400 plus grain bullets and much smoke. Needed the peep to let me shoot far(ther).

Latest posts

Back