• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New barrel protectant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zonie said:
For those who don't know, automatic transmission fluid contains a large number of additives including rust and corrosion inhibitors.

It does an excellent job of protecting iron and steel parts from rust.

It's chief disadvantage when used in a barrel for rust and corrosion protection is, it is a petroleum oil product that needs to be cleaned out of a black powder rifle barrel before shooting.

In a "wet" layer, it can increase hard to remove fouling when it black powder is ignited on it.

Barricade on the other hand drys to a protective film that doesn't cause a problem with black powder fouling.

Zonie you are of course quite correct! And this is for the OP: After a thorough cleaning, use Barricade in the bore & on the lock, then store MUZZLE-DOWN on a piece of paper toweling. No matter how much Barricade you use (for my caplocks I use enough to squirt out the cleaned nipple), the bore knows what it needs & the rest drains-out instead of falling down into the vent liner or the flash channel of percussion guns :wink:

I didn't want to get involved in the goings-on with regard to TVM, but since the OP was new to the Sport & forum, I felt it was important to mention proper storage. And kudos to Neechi for making the excellent point about gunk in a new shipped barrel & why it's important to NOT fire it prior to a good cleaning! IMHO the main reason for FTF's in muzzleloaders is too much oil in the bore and/or ignition pathway, which then as we all know spoils the charge & produces hang fires at best or missfires that you hope don't hang-fire as you try to pull the load or put fresh powder under a nipple.

May everyone here have a Merry Christmas if we don't chat more before then!

Dave

Thanks smokin, great advice, something I will put to practice. Seems everyone has their own idea of what's the best, I will have to experiment and see what works best for my gun.

Thanks & it's a pleasure to chat with a 22 year old interested enough in black powder to buy a rifle!

I have a 25 year old Eagle Scout son who earned his NRA Expert in Muzzleloading Rifle & he has 1-2 Distinguished Expert targets finished (since prior to college). He has 21 years of shooting experience, many of them in muzzleloading, w/o any missfires or hangfires. A CLEAN gun is a HAPPY gun that goes off when you squeeze the trigger.

If at any time you need some long-distance mentoring, just send me a PM with your phone number & best time to call. I'll do my best to help you. Remember if you decide to do the Brake Cleaner route to clean the bore, to not get any on the wood!

Take care & stay warm & well!

Dave

Thanks Dave, that's very kind of you and I may take you up on that offer. I'm envious of your son learning from such a young age! He sounds like a great shot, surely he had a great teacher :wink:

As for the brake fluid, I plan to avoid, I went ahead and ordered some barricade and ballistol for the time being. Just need something to keep it safe from rust while I collect the supplies I need to get started.

The barrel, from the factory, should have a nice rust inhibitor in the bore already. As long as the rifle hasn't been shot I wouldn't worry too much about rust. My 2 cents will say that Tranny fluid (Dextron Mercon) is a good rust inhibitor, as well as Synthetic Motor oil, My choice for long term storage is Birchwood Casey RIG. The use of any of these I mentioned will result in the need to flush the barrel with an alcohol based cleaner.. I use brake cleaner or carb cleaner for this. If I am shooting alot and want to protect my barrel short term..I use WD-40 and works well.

necchi said:
Cheape said:
spew, prattle, derailing a thread...
:bow: :bow:
You have become my instant Hero :hatsoff:

So, other than thorough embarrassment (along with Necchi who isn't a brand new member here), any other key learning moments this week kid, eh?

In further support I recommend you use Purolator...

USP Grade Mineral Oil (probably "liquid paraffin" in Commonwealth countries) inside barrel, that with bee's and carnauba wax on outside -- on outside of locks though I usually use silicone and on bearing surfaces RemOil (w/Teflon).

I haven't tried Mineral oil :hmm: might have to try that. I'm assuming you get it at the drug store.
I do like a beeswax concoction for the outside though :thumbsup:

No embarrassment Alden, it's just always you bring up the same issue (even in the first posts of my other thread) without evening offering answers to my original question, which has nothing to do with your experience with TVM. That's all. No hurt feelings.

Everyone's suggestions are much appreciated, I am getting my hands on a few that have been mentioned, turns out the gun will be arriving this week. Many thanks

LOL Is that what I always do in your one month's experience here, when you didn't understand your own well-thought-out question, 22 years in the making, was answered before you attacked me? Oh, to be a little boy again...

...just graduating from one kind of capgun to another. Youth is truly wasted on the young.

The forum is open for reading long before someone joins and posts.
With any experience at all with WWW forums on any topic or subject it doesn't take much to recognize the value of a post or response.
Just sayin,,

This is true necchi, as I have been reading the forums for atleast 2 years now, and have been registered for over a year. The forums have been a wonderful wealth of information for me, and still is whether one posts or not.

Alden, sorry if you've been offended, I'm not here to argue. My initial questions were answered, and am grateful for those who did.

Odd apology and "thank you" but accepted and you're welcome.

Be safe!

Alden said:
Odd apology and "thank you" but accepted and you're welcome.

Be safe!

After your rude comments and inference that someone 22 years old couldn't possibly formulate a good question, your generally condescending attitude, your vehement dislike of TVM, and failure to post anything of use to the Op's question I am absolutely amazed he felt any need to apologize.

We talk on here often about how the number of people interested in muzzle loading keeps dropping and wonder why it is so hard to get young people to join this sport. Getting treated like you have treated the OP makes it pretty clear why no one would want to sign up. If anything you are the one being the azzhat (one who wears his rectum for a hat :grin: ) and owe him an apology, but I doubt you are man enough to step up and do what is right, so at least learn to keep your mouth shut when you have nothing of value to add.

To Cheape - welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy the new gun and I am sure it will be shipped well protected. Let us know how you make out.

Most new barrels come with a protective grease in and on them. The grease will protect the gun until you are ready to shoot it if it is stored inside your home. Before shooting your new rifle, be sure to use a solvent such as mineral spirits to remove all of the grease from your bore. You will need to remove any protectant grease from any place where black powder will be burned such as the bore, pan, etc. because the heat of combustion of the black powder will form a hard to remove gunk when it burns any kind of protectant grease. The outside of the barrel is another matter. If it was my rifle, I would remove all traces of the protectant grease from the outside of the gun simply because I don't like to have grease on my rifle. It is messy to handle and attracts dirt like a magnet. One of my personal favorite protectants for the entire exterior, literally lock, stock and barrel is a product called Renaissance Wax. Many of the big museums use it to protect their displays. It works! Nuff said!

By the way, welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation. :hatsoff:

Well here's how I see it... Alden was ripped off by Matt (or thinks/claims he was). So in MHO he has a right to shout it from the top of his lungs as long as they work (lungs). After all when one waits the average (reported) amount of time to get something from the party in question one expects it should be spot on as ordered or immediately corrected.

As for the new OP he now knows Alden and can take him for who he is. A few on here I just skip the posts as they are too arrogant to ruin a few moments of good reading (Alden not being one of them).

FWI I had a poor experience with a taxidermist here locally 18 years ago and still tell everyone I know that may get taxidermy done about it to this day and will do so as long as my lungs work! Its cost the guy 10-12 mounts I know of and all over a $25.00 rip off. I WIN! :hmm:

Back