• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New bag...need ideas for strap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longbow68

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello folks
Here's my first bag but I am stumped on the strap.I would like to use the same leather as the bag but it's pretty thin(using single ply)and if I fold over and sew....well,I might be finished sometime next year.Anyone have some good ideas?

Thanks,Chris

Picture058.jpg

Best idea I can come up with is to send it to me. I'll do an extensive field evaluation using several different kinds/ styles of straps and material. Now mind you, this will be a serious study and evaluation. I think the fence along the southern border will be completed before I render my results and recommendations. :thumbsup:

You don't want to go with an untested strap on such a nice bag. If you ship the bag to me I will test a leather, a hemp, and a linnen strap for three years with each strap. And do any additional testing needed.

Can you folks help me send this topic over to"The craftsman"?I think I made a booboo.Thanks,Chris

If this is your first bag I am really looking forward to seeing the second one!! But as to the strap, I would use linen or hemp bound at the ends with the bag leather, or you could take the trouble to edge bind the strap with the same leather. I'm sure the workmanship would equal that applied to the bag and it would tie the bag and strap together visually. Oh, did I mention that I really like the bag??

A linen strap is relatively easy to make up. Get some linen, cut it to size, fold it over three or four times until it is strap width and then sew it up. The linen will outlast a leather strap. You could dye the linen a tan to go with the bag. Maybe this would be a good place for a walnut hull dye.

Many Klatch

Good lookin' bag. :thumbsup:
Put a linen or hemp strap on it. You can make a double-thick leather strap and put it on later if you want, while you get to use the bag in the meantime.

I have an inkle loom that I make bag straps with. I prefer to use wool rug yarn. It's thick and makes an awesome strap.

Regards

see if crazy crow has some beaded straps long enough..Man i like the beading around the edge.I have a bunch of those that are real that i have found and restrung.That handmade loom strap sounds real nice too.You folks sure do some nice stuff.I like to drop by now and then just to look.
That shines,it truly shines

Thanks for the kind remarks fellas.I ordered several yds. of hemp webbing last night to give it a try.I'll post another pic as soon as I get it finished.Thanks again,Longbow

I like a nice fingerwoven strap myself, if you can find someone thatknows how to do it, it would make a nice addition. nice bag as well by the way! :thumbsup:

If you want to use the same thin leather, cut out a 5" circle then cut a 1/8 inch string spirally around until the circle of leather is used up. make several of these strings and you can then twist them into cordage for a strap or twist them individually and the weave them into a wider strap!
Kirby

Back