• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new "American Frontiersman" magazine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jferguson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Today in a SE Va. Food Lion grocery store, I spied a new magazine with this title on the magazine rack. Front cover shows an illustration of a fringed buckskin clad mountain man kneeling with a Kentucky rifle ML in his hand, wolf-dog at his side. This mag has ALL the topics we primitive outdoorsmen should be trying to learn about. Old timers probably know all this stuff already, but for a nooby, this would be a good start. The $10 price made me put it back on the rack, but after I reflected that I cannot remember ever buying a new magazine from a rack in my 52 years, I decided to get it anyway, as I deserve to be able to buy one magazine in a lifetime, even an overpriced one, right? Looks like a one-time edition, as it simply says "2014" on the spine. Check it out and let me know how it rates.

from the square in the upper right where it says "look inside" it says now published bi-annually.

It is an annual. This issue came out a couple of months ago, I think. The material is in the same vein as Backwoodsman Magazine with somewhat better production values. It's quite enjoyable.

Jeff

It's a bit pricey, but given the cost of everything else these days, I got my money's worth out of it. Sort of a combination of Backwoods Home Magazine, Mother Earth and The Backwoodsman. I've spent 10 bucks on far worse things I guess.

Heck I have spent ten bucks on a stripper and only got a quick look at her . If I had bought a magazine would have read it a few times. LOL

I read the first issue last year I think. It's not bad but it's pricey for sure. Saw the one you are talking about the other day.

It's definitely an upscale Backwoodsman.

I typically read these type magazines at Barnes & Noble, then put them back on the rack.....do that with a lot of the gun rags......there has to be a great article that I really want to habg onto for reference for me to buy the mag.

Muzzle Loader is about the only mag I buy off the rack.

PS- I remember when it was $2.00 a dance, or 3 for $5.00! :rotf:

Bi-annually would be every two years, if used properly. Semi-annually would be every six months.

Of course, standards have fallen so low that even Merriam-Webster online lists both definitions now... :youcrazy: :shake:

Let's enjoy our Newspeak, until it becomes impossible to say, "Big Brother is ungood." (If you don't get the Orwell reference, read 1984. Unfortunately much of it has come true...) :stir: :eek:ff

I was waiting at the airport for a delayed flight and bought it to kill time. It had some useful information and good reading but I doubt I would buy another. :idunno:

colmoultrie - According to Webster (New World Dictionary - college edition) you are WRONG!!!!!

It sez biannual means twice a year. It also sezz that semi-annual duz tooo, so you ok there.

Put dat in yer clay pipe and smoke it!

I read 1984 when I was 15, again when I was 16. Long time ago.

Rifleman1776 said:
Cheyenne said:
I typically read these type magazines at Barnes & Noble, then put them back on the rack.....do that with a lot of the gun rags

Is that a brag? :td:
Libraries exist for a reason.
"Magazine Welfare". Some people will play the system any way they can. :haha:

If Barnes and Noble did not want the folks sitting there reading for free, they wouldn't have chairs all over the place to sit and read.

Frankly, I never thought it was a good business practice to let folks read the merchandise for free, but it attracts the folks. Maybe they make more on the over priced coffee and muffins.

I have to admit, I felt like a traitor to Ritchie when I purchased the first. As mentioned above, it is more slick and show than depth and how to. It is also, like some other new magazines, far more article and less advertisements. (New Pioneer and Home Power, etc.)

zimmerstutzen said:
If Barnes and Noble did not want the folks sitting there reading for free, they wouldn't have chairs all over the place to sit and read.
And the government wouldn't hand out welfare money if they didn't want people to not work. :wink:

ra·tion·al·ize
1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Back