• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Refinishing a finished gun stock…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s a pic of the sanded stock in the “white”. I think one of the most crucial steps to refinishing mine was to burnish the surface several times throughout the refinish process to remove the whiskers and harden the surface to resist dents. This walnut seems to be pretty soft. I used a pencil length 3/8” dowel rod with a rounded end for this. You can see how it affects and smoothes the surface.
D53C5D17-333D-4691-97BE-9979D7CB45AF.jpeg

“White” the stock.
Get “whiting” aka powdered chalk at Brownells($$$) or pottery supply($) source and mix some with denatured alcohol to the consistency of pancake batter.
Slather it on and allow to dry completely.
Repeat as needed.
It will pull the BLO out of the stock without sanding.
It works
“White” the stock.
Get “whiting” aka powdered chalk at Brownells($$$) or pottery supply($) source and mix some with denatured alcohol to the consistency of pancake batter.
Slather it on and allow to dry completely.
Repeat as needed.
It will pull the BLO out of the stock without sanding.
It works
Google

French Chalk, calcium carbonate, whiting​

Like Cavalry Joe I used cabinet scrapers to remove the stain and BLO finish from a rifle my dad started and didn't finish. It was a real clean method of doing the work without chemicals. I had to do a very minimum amount of sanding but it was an easy task.

After scraping.

20200611_161039.jpg

20200526_154541.jpg

That Orange stripper stuff works pretty well for me; need gloves, outdoors, don't soak a stock in water it swells the wood. Use moist towels or cloths sparingly to wipe down; more that one shot usually needed.
I have a T/C Hawken that was built in the 70's. I had to sand the finish off because I think they used polyurethane as a finish. To get the old stain out I applied six applications of chlorine bleach with a cheap paint brush rinsing between applications with water. It removed all traces of the old walnut finish and I stained it cherry.

Latest posts

Back