• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New 10 Ga. Load A Success As Pheasants Fall Out Of The Sky!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Rosenthal

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Well the new 2 oz. loading consisting of 1 1/8 oz. of #7.5's & 7/8 oz. of #6's in front of 80 grains of 3Fg Goex did a wonderful job yesterday! I used a .125 OP wad, then a 10 ga. Ox-Yoke wonder-wad, then a cushioned shot wad, then the 2 oz. of shot, then 2 OP cards. The 10 ga. Pedersoli handled like a dream and went BANG every time I snapped a trigger. Went five downed birds for six attempts, and the one I missed was due to a tree trunk getting in the way of my pattern for a shot in the woods. So all in all, not a bad day hunting!

The hunting party consisted of a friend of mine using a 20 ga. O&U, and 2 others with 12 ga. semi-autos. We all did great and had loads of fun! Since I used my version of "Speed Loaders" for both the powder & shot from my possibles bag, and had the rest of the components in a zip-lock in my hunting vest, loading on the move while walking slow meant that I could keep-up with the rest of the hunting party and the dogs that were busy pointing at the 20 pheasant that we had the Game Preserve stock for us! So I didn't slow-down the rest of the party!

My last shot of the hunt was my best and it brought smiles and congratulations from everybody on the hunt, including the Guide that had never guided for a ML shotgunner in his 16 years as a Guide! Here's the set-up: We're chasing a cockbird in the woods, the dogs have it cornered under a fallen tree down by the exposed roots. The Guide flushes the bird and it runs along the base of the fallen tree trunk until it runs out of ground, then takes flight. I had about a 2 1/2 foot window through the thicket of cat briars and heavy brush at a distance of about 7 yards. I saw the bird and started to instinctively swing the gun from my hip. Just as the bird hit the opening in flight, I let go with the right barrel in a sweeping motion. DEAD BIRD! Nobody could believe that I did it if they didn't see it themselves! Didn't even have the gun mounted, and made a clean, quick shot deep in the thickets! Several beers later (at a local watering hole) the day was over.....

Can't wait to go out again!

And two of the three remaining members of the party got to each discharge one side of the big double before I put it away for the day, bringing smiles to their faces as well! :thumbsup:

Dave

Dammit! Threads like these needs pic's!

Sounds like it was a blast and all that matters David, good for you. :thumbsup:

Hi Rich!

One of the semi-auto guys took some pic's of his friends firing the big double. I don't have his email address yet. When I get it (soon) I'll email the image and you can post it for me, O-K?

Yeah, we all had a great time. It seems that I'm the only Odd-ball that uses a ML for upland hunting in this part of Jersey. The Preserve that we hunted at has been around for ten years now, and neither of the two Guides that routinely work the place have ever been with a ML scattergunner before me. Our Guide just got a front-stuffer rifle last year and was asking me all sorts of questions. The big tip he gleaned was to store his rifle muzzle-down so oil wouldn't drain into the breech :wink: .

Dave

Yes it was! Sometimes I wish that some of you folks whom I've never met before could have been there too to enjoy it! Maybe then there would have been more than one cap gun in the field (or a flinter, cause that would really draw attention)!

Dave

Thanks Bill! :thumbsup: Do you ever get a chance to team-up with fellow ML shotgunners where you hunt, or are you the Odd-ball in your part of the world?

And what kind of "tricks" such as speed-loaders might you use to keep-up with fellow hunters? Those prescription medicine bottles pour the shot really nice in all sorts of weather.

Dave

GREAT JOB! :thumbsup:

Maybe next year a hunt for us muzzy guys in the area? :hmm:

410-er said:
GREAT JOB! :thumbsup:

Maybe next year a hunt for us muzzy guys in the area? :hmm:

Tom,

That's a GREAT idea! Since it can get really warm in September at the beginning of the season, how's October or November for you? December can get a little crazy with Christmas both in my business & personal lives, so I'd prefer to do it BEFORE the blizzards could hit and screw-up the season like they did this year! And do you want to visit Jersey or should I come to your favorite place in PA?

And do you know anyone else like us in your neck of the woods? Maybe we should ask the Dixons to give us a few names & numbers to try to organize a Hunt? We could possibly put the word out here as well, and if we get a big enough response we could hire a second Guide & set of dogs for the second hunting party, but I'm getting ahead of myself at this point.

Of course we need to make sure that whom ever attends KNOWS how to handle hunting birds, especially with a muzzy!

Cost-wise each of us quartered the $515.00 tab, so it came to $128.75 each for the four of us for 20 pheasants, the Guide & dogs for a half-day Hunt. Then we each gave the Guide a tip too.

So calendar wise, what's good for you?

Dave

Dave, I'll be watching for more info on this idea. By the fall I should have a load worked up for my TVM fowling piece.

Mixing shot sizes seemed to really help! I've got several buddies who reload CF 12 ga. shells, and they do it all of the time!

Dave

Later after Feb sometime would work better.We will have to check closer to time,search a central location and who would be interested.Would non res. lic. be required for NJ?

I'm not sure as I don't think that the license is reciprocal between the two States. I do know that a single day license can be purchased at the Preserve by a NJ resident for $12.50 and all that's required is proof of some kind of past license or hunter-ed safety course. I'll call the Preserve closest to me to find-out about PA residents and get back to you........

Dave

UPDATE! UPDATE!!

A bunch of us got together and formed an impromptu hunting party for tomorrow morning! So the old 10 ga. "Smoke Choker" gets to hopefully do it's thing again! More report on results to follow!

Wish us luck...I'll be the only guy there with a ML, but I've hunted with it with 2 of the guys in this hunting party, so they're used to it by now :haha: .

I'll post soon!

Dave

Saw Tooth & Swampy: Just got done with the sewer guy doing the main line out to the street from the house. Now we can flush again and get back on the computer!

I did pretty good yesterday, and got my share! Hunting party of 5 guys with 25 pre-purchased birds. I missed one I should have nailed, and made some not-so-easy shots (ain't that the way!). Last shot of the day was the best! I was in the woods chasing a cock bird and I lost it, then I stepped towards it without seeing it in the heavy cat-briars. It took flight and I swept the big double to my right and tilted the barrel up and from about 10 yards let go with my 2 ounce load and smacked it good from the hip and it dropped like a rock, hitting a branch on the way down.

Sorry though, no photos again since the guys didn't want to pose for pictures since they were in a hurry to get to the diner for lunch.....

The Preserve I went to is open till the 15th of April, so maybe I'll get another chance??

Dave

Dave,

You brought back some fond memories of running around E of the Delaware Gap for planted birds with friends.

Cannot remember the name of the Preserve, but my buddy's Brace of GSPs that were usually along were Unforgettable!

Those guys probably did not want to take pics because the BP Guy showed em up again :)

John

Latest posts

Back