• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nesmuck's Gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nit wit

.69 Cal.
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If you ever read Nesmuck book on canoeing the Adirondacks you might have seen this combination gun on the cover of the book. We are having a GEEZER SHOOT in August with a hunting scenario. I am using this as it's a .40cal rifle on top and a .58 cal smoothbore on the bottom. I shot it at 25 yards at a crow target. I got the .40 dialed in and then shot 60 gr of shot over 50 grains of 3F, good pattern. Just for the heck of it I shot a .570 ball, bare ball. 60 gr 3F. I hit the crow in the neck. Pretty impressed!
Nit Wit

Attachments

• thumbnail_20230727_181522.jpg
    thumbnail_20230727_181522.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail_20230727_181542.jpg
    thumbnail_20230727_181542.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 0
I think Nessmuck’s rifle was a Billinghurst. Is that one a Billinghurst, also?

In any event, it sounds like you got yourself a shooter! Good luck in your geezer match!

Notchy Bob

Nit Wit has a very nice (and accurate) percussion combination gun with a typical back action lock for the top barrel and an under hammer lock for the bottom one. In one of Sears' book he mentions his favorite rifle was a single barrel Billinghurst, but on the cover of the specific book that Nit Wit mentions Sears
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.44.58 PM.png
holds a gun that is similar to the posted one. I don't know whether Sears (Nessmuk) owned it or whether it was merely a studio prop for the photo ... These guns were fairly common in southern New York State and northern Pennsylvania with several different makers. Here are a few in my collection. (Sorry for the messed up photo loading that I just did)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.44.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.44.58 PM.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Nit Wit has a very nice (and accurate) percussion combination gun with a typical back action lock for the top barrel and an under hammer lock for the bottom one. In one of Sears' book he mentions his favorite rifle was a single barrel Billinghurst, but on the cover of the specific book that Nit Wit mentions SearsView attachment 240009 holds a gun that is similar to the posted one. I don't know whether Sears (Nessmuk) owned it or whether it was merely a studio prop for the photo ... These guns were fairly common in southern New York State and northern Pennsylvania with several different makers. Here are a few in my collection. (Sorry for the messed up photo loading that I just did)
Incredible collection, what range of caliber a they in?

Of the 21 guns of this type in my collection about half are "rifle over rifle". The others are "rifle over smoothbore". Rifles run from .36 to .42 caliber and the smoothbores go from 12 to 28 gauge (.55 caliber equivalent)

Of the 21 guns of this type in my collection about half are "rifle over rifle". The others are "rifle over smoothbore". Rifles run from .36 to .42 caliber and the smoothbores go from 12 to 28 gauge (.55 caliber equivalent)
Superb collection!
Nit Wit

Hey Old Rust, I'll start another thread on Jacob Harder rather than side-track Nit Wit's original posting (I'm interested in how his GEEZER SHOOT works out next month).
Without better pictures of Nessmuk's over under guns or a hands-on inspection, my guess is that the pictured gun was PROBABLY made in Tioga County, Pennsylvania ( by either William E Robbins or Josial Harding?)

Hey Old Rust, I'll start another thread on Jacob Harder rather than side-track Nit Wit's original posting (I'm interested in how his GEEZER SHOOT works out next month).
Without better pictures of Nessmuk's over under guns or a hands-on inspection, my guess is that the pictured gun was PROBABLY made in Tioga County, Pennsylvania ( by either William E Robbins or Josial Harding?)
Yes It's to easy to hijack a thread, and often unintentional. Thank you I'm also looking forward to Nit Wits report

Thanks,
O.R.

Last edited:
Back