• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Neglected but still worked perfectly!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey gang!

I've got a travel trailer that I keep on land I own. It's very nice, but only heated or air conditioned when I use a generator. I haven't done that much, if at all, over more than a year. That means it's a lot like a car: hot in the day, cold at night, etc.

Anyway, I was up there today running some smoke through my Walker, and wound up rummaging around looking for something else when I stumbled across a Pietta Remington NA Sheriff's revolver that I got in a trade. I'd loaded it and forgot about it, and it's been in this non-climate controlled trailer since then! (I know. Irresponsible of me. Still...)

It looked good, so I decided to pop off the caps before driving out the balls and cleaning it up. Every single round went off perfectly, and even made a pretty good pattern at 25 yards! I mean as perfectly as if I'd just loaded it.

And this is after a year of hot South Carolina summer days, cold winter nights, extreme expansion & contraction, etc. It still performed flawlessly! I ran another couple of cylinders just for fun. (And fun it was!)

So... I sure don't plan to (intentionally) keep 'em this way or anything, but I was definitely impressed. Makes me wonder about Wild Bill's penchant for reloading each morning, and why other C & B revolvers failed to go off. It's never happened to me.

So what do y'all think? I'm interested in your opinions.

Thanks!

Not surprised your revolver worked fine. I've left mine loaded for 2 or 3 months and never had anything but a slight hangfire. However, I loaded one with wads and the lube degraded the powder a bit. It still went bang but velocity was way down. I shot it over a my chronigraph out of curiocity.

Don

Man, I LOVE that stuff! Still have a little bit left, 'cause I just use it with my flinters. Best stuff I've ever used, and I mean that.
:hatsoff:

BTW, it's really good to be back. I've missed my online charcoal burnin' pals more than y'all would believe.

Wild Bill's life depended on his revolver going bang every time, yours didn't.

If your life had depended on it would you have emptied the revolver and reloaded it or gone with it as it was?

I think he was just being careful

I would think that gunfighters of that day had 3 interests.

One was taking a reasonable measure to ensure that their load would work flawlessly each time. Daily testing taught them about what works and what does not.

The second was that they got daily marksmanship practice.

The third is that everyone within the sound of these daily shots knew that these men were serious shooters. Those within sight could see the evidence as well. Such unspoken communication has great value too.

CS

Latest posts

Back