• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need TVM Fowler input

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd411111

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,first post in a while. I have a TVM Fowler on order and while it won't be ready for several months,I'm trying to get a head start on everything. It will be a .62 caliber/20 guage.Just wondering what patch and ball combination some of you that might have one are using. One guy I know uses a .600 ball and a .010 patch. I'm sure that would work great but I would like to keep using pillow ticking for patches so I'm thinking a .595 ball might be better. Also this is my first flintlock and not for sure what size flints and best place to buy them would be.

:metoo:
My Centermark "20 gauge" bore measures .620 and shoots a .600 ball and .010 patch very well. So that's where I started with my TVM "20 gauge" smooth rifle, results were not as expected. My TVM's bore measures .615 and after much testing shoots a .610 ball sandwiched between felt wad and over shot cards better than all patched combos I could come up with. The closest patched combo was a .595 ball with .010 patch (defying all tight patch/ball logic) but was still not as good as the bare ball.

Wait and see what your bore measures. Maybe they will measure it for you when they start building and let you know so you can gather some components? Try a few combinations, including patchless with wads, the barrel will let you know what it likes.

Even with the same brand of barrel and coming from the same builder, a gun can perform differently when used by a different person. So much depends on how the gun is held, how the load is tamped during the loading process and the subtle differences in ball size coming from a different lot of ball.

You can get close based on recommendations from other users, but you will just have to determine what works best for your gun.

Thanks all! It will have a Siler lock and their stock barrel(can't remember the name). I had about decided to order .595,.600 and .610 balls and assorted patches and wads to find what works best. I was just curious about what was working for others. Or if there was something that definitely didn't work. I've been shooting caplocks for about a year so I know there is a process. Still have a lot to learn though. Especially about the flints. Thanks!

I have a TVM fowler and like it very much; a friend also has one and pretty much ignores his rifles. Mine has a tight bore. Another forum member told me he called TVM and was told their fowlers had barrels with an ID of .610" which mine seems to agree with. I started casting .600" lead ball with my Lee mold and patching them with a thin patch. Even with a .010" patch the load was tight especially after a shot was fired.

Then I started casting ball with WW metal. The ball is harder and cools down to .606". Loading them on a cushion or felt wad over the powder with a card wad on top, I got good accuracy at 50 yards. Since it's impossible to patch that size ball after the first shot I tried a .590" ball with a normal rifle patch. It shot okay as did the soft lead ball with a thin patch; but they shot to different points of impact. With this considered I decided to just use the "bare ball" load with the .606" ball. It's easy to load and accurate enough for deer out past 50 yards.

I have several pounds of lead and have been casting some with a Lee mold for a .54 rifle so I've done a little of that. When I decide what works,I plan on buying a mold for the Fowler. I've found those factory .62 caliber balls pretty pricey.

I have a TVM 20 ga. have had it for 15 or 16 years. I've tried
different loads but always come back to a 600 ball .010 patch
Sitin on 70g of 3f powder. Shoots like a rifle to about 50 yds.

Mike

I dug up the old thread the original owner posted about my gun when he 1st got it. It had a barrel by Mark Dehaas originally, I seem to recall it getting rebarreled, but I could be wrong, there had been a tight spot at the front site location. If it was rebarreled I can't remember or find what make the new barrel is, but will keep looking.

When I ordered it he told me the name,just can't remember. Actually I was willing to pay for an upgrade but he said on a smoothbore the stock barrel was just as good.

I looked into a TVM smooth Early Virginia about 6 months back, perhaps 9 months . . as I recall the were using Colerain barrels in their smooths when I asked. . I think their site says that their fowler uses a special made Oct-to-round barrel made for TVM, and that's made my Colerain.

However, I suppose they now could be using Rice . . I bought a Late Lancaster kit from them a year ago and it was a Rice rifle barrel.

TVM are good folks who make a good product.

Yeah,pretty much everything I've heard is really good. I've actually met some of their people a couple of times. Super nice and willing to take the time to answer all my questions.

TVM smoothy bores are tight, about .610", I've been informed. I know my TVM is on the tight side. I like the unpatched .606" WW ball I use in mine. Last time I fired it at 50 yards a 3 shot group was 3.5" and perfectly centered. When I patch a .600" lead ball I get 3 shots in about 2-75" but it shoots way to the left. I did kill one deer with Mike Payne's load and it works. I've fired Mike's rifle and it also shoots very good groups with that load. But patching those balls in a tight, dirty bore is not all that easy. The bare ball load I like IS quick and easy to load.

Sounds like there's need to purchase any .610 balls if it's that tight. Also, I'm gathering fouling in a smoothbore is even harder to deal with than a rifle. Makes sense,there's no where for it to go.

I just wish Lee produced a .610" mold as I could probably afford that. The .610" ball should work great in a bare ball load; maybe better than my .606" WW ball. If you lube a wad in the load or even the card wads, the fouling should stay relatively soft.

Lyman makes a .610 mold. It does cost more than a Lee, but mine has worked well for me. Costs about $90 but given the cost of buying already cast ones it has paid for itself in just a year.

I have a Tanner mold for a .590" ball; even with shipping it was only $26. They cost quite a bit more, now. And $90 is way out of my range. Using WW does get me to .606" which is close and shoots well, too. But still sure would like a .610".

Back