• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski76

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am putting together a Lancaster rifle. When inletting the barrel, I removed a little too much wood behind the breech. The tang and the rest of the barrel fits fine except for this gap. Is there a fix for this :confused:

ski76 said:
I am putting together a Lancaster rifle. When inletting the barrel, I removed a little too much wood behind the breech. The tang and the rest of the barrel fits fine except for this gap. Is there a fix for this :confused:

Nope, it's hopeless. Immediately box up all of your parts and send them to me for disposal. :winking: Just kidding, of course. :v Bedding compound (available from Track of the Wolf, Brownell's, etc.) should take care of the gap and strengthen the breech area, to boot. Just follow directions and don't forget to coat the metal parts with a release agent before bedding. Good luck with the Lancaster.

twobirds said:
Just follow directions and don't forget to coat the metal parts with a release agent before bedding.

Oh, and you probably want to take some clay and pack it around the backside of the breechplug (even with the back of the barrel). This prevents the bedding compound from filling this area - think about lifting the barrel and tang out after the compound sets and you'll know what I mean. First flint pistol I made, I didn't think about this until JUST before the bedding compound fully set. :shocked2: :redface: I kinda botched the job by pulling the barrel while the compound was still tacky, but at least the barrel wasn't "permanently attached" to the stock! Doing this should help improve one's inletting skills on future builds! :haha:

Glue in a piece of wood where needed and re-inlet the tang.

I think I'd go one better... I believe I would inlet a flat piece of horn. I like Moose but any will do along as it is flat... like where it forks. While you are about it... shape the back end into something like a weeping heart finial so that it looks like you intended to do so from the first. This way folks will marvel at your work instead of suspecting anything else.

I slipped in a couple (one on each side) of custom-fitted pieces of sheet copper between the breech and the wood. Stuck them in position with beeswax. Can't even see them!
Black Hand

Back