• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help with butt plate Kibler SMR WWYD?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been chasing this gap for awhile now, and wondering if it is actually worth closing up. right at the top corner of the tang and plate. I haven't touched the stock corner at all. I just keep moving the plate forward but have yet to close this gap up all the way. The assembly fits great all other places but here. I about 1/3rd of a hole forward of the screw holes already so looks like I'll be plugging and redrilling anyways. Should I keep going forward or live with the gap?
20230719_151451.jpg
20230719_151433.jpg

What ever you do, don't leave the gap or you'll be looking at it and getting irritated with yourself for as long as you have the rifle. I suspect you'll have to plug the holes and re-drill. If you don't feel up to the task ask a gunsmith for help. Getting the new holes drilled right is important too. If they aren't, they will push the plate out of alignment when they are tightened. I know for sure. :confused:

I've been chasing this gap for awhile now, and wondering if it is actually worth closing up. right at the top corner of the tang and plate. I haven't touched the stock corner at all. I just keep moving the plate forward but have yet to close this gap up all the way. The assembly fits great all other places but here. I about 1/3rd of a hole forward of the screw holes already so looks like I'll be plugging and redrilling anyways. Should I keep going forward or live with the gap
Never!
Call Jim.
Larry

The buttplate needs to go forward if there is a gap where you indicate. Trim a little bit of wood from the front of the top extension. Use transfer color and don't trim too much.

Also, I would highly discourage polishing any hardware or mounts prior to assembly. Put the gun together, sand everything flush and then polish. Sometimes mounts need adjusted tweaked etc. Polishing ahead isn't a good approach.

Ok . So what is “calling Jim!” going to do? (Or what do you want him to do?)
Your issue is not a product issue; it is an assembly task which just about any kit gun will require the builder to do.
I dare say there should be a few dozen suggestions offered here on how to fit a butt plate to a stock blank. If the problem seems insurmountable there are folks who may help. Calling the company president doesn’t seem the appropriate answers here.

Ok . So what is “calling Jim!” going to do? (Or what do you want him to do?)
Your issue is not a product issue; it is an assembly task which just about any kit gun will require the builder to do.
I dare say there should be a few dozen suggestions offered here on how to fit a butt plate to a stock blank. If the problem seems insurmountable there are folks who may help. Calling the company president doesn’t seem the appropriate answers here.
I agree, the reason I agreed with the suggestions for calling Jim is that if a new builder really has no idea how to fix such a minor fitting issue I'm not sure how much he will understand and take to heart our suggestions. So yes, it did get unnecessarily pawned off on Jim. But that's why he makes the big bucks 😉.

I had the same problem with the butt plate and the solution for me was to bend the back plate; actually it also needed a couple wacks with a rubber mallet to get the curve right. You move that top plate forward too much and you duplicate my problem in
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/my-kibler-smr-build-log.166072/page-4#post-2381094with screw hole alignment that got everybody really irritated, and was a real PIA to resolve, so best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Back