• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help with blade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder Keg

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I started on a different blade to practice a couple things this weekend. It turned out pretty good and now I want to use it but I think I messed it up? I ground the blade back to far and I can't figure out how to mount a handle to it? The blade is 3/16 thick and 3" long. The tang measures about 1.5" long. All the work was done with a belt sander and a file. Any suggestions?

Blade001.jpg

Blade002.jpg

Thanks, Wes

Hey Keg -
Check out this site -
[url] http://www.knives.com/engnath_handles.html[/url]

I sure hope it helps.

:snore: :hmm: :snore:

limpin'frog

Last edited by a moderator:
First, that is AWESOME file work! :applause:

Bob Engnath (rest in piece Bob) was an excellent help when it came to getting people going with making knives. I ordered my first blade from him several years ago. I had a soldering question and called him up. He actually spent about 45 minutes on the phone explaining things about several joining techniques. Milling out a chunk of antler or wood might be your best answer to that problem. Put a little epoxy in there and pin it tight. Please post the knife when you finish it. :thumbsup:

The tang is long enough for that blade. The main thing I see wrong is that it is thicker than the blade, by quite a bit. Nice file work!

Put a prospective handle in a table saw and lower the blade just enough to cut a groove in the top of a handle. Glue the handle into the wood. The file work will be clearly visible across the top of the handle. Backfill the rest of the space will a same size piece of wood or get creative and laminate several small pieces and shove them in the groove. You could also pour pewter in the groove or simply leave it alone and fill it with colored glue.

I hope that helps

Regards
Loyd Shindelbower
Loveland Colorado

WOW that blade is really neat!

Please post a finished photo when it is finished

Thanks for sharing!
:hatsoff:

Very nice filework! You could drill a hole in a piece of antler, slightly larger than the tang. Rough up and notch the tang.Insert tang and epoxy in place. You can also drill the very top of the antler larger, epoxy in place but do not fill up completely. When the expoy cures pour pewter to fill up the hole. It leaves a nice neat look to the end of the antler.

Wes you could also drill a single hole throught the tang for a pivot pin and make another friction folder from this blade. Nice work.

Joe

Thanks for the compliments. I was planing on building another folder. That is why the tang was so wide. But I lost my head for a moment. I've been thinking of brazing a longer tang to it, then inletting the handle so you can still see the pattern I filed. I'll finish up the tang thats there now by rounding it off a bit.

Are there instructions for poring pewter? That would be awesome. Mabey a smallish bronze guard also?

Later, Wes

Wes, the way I pour pewter is:

Wrap your handle with paper from a paper bag and tape it with masking tape. Stand it up in a vise or some other means to where the opening in the paper form is level.

Using a torch, heat the pewter in a ladle (bought at a thrift store)or some other vessel that will hold enough to do the complete pour in one shot. If you don't don't pour it all at once you may have trouble with it having a split line where the two pours meet.

After the poured pewter is cool (minutes), take the paper form off and file/sand down the pewter till you get it the shape you want.

If you want you can put vinegar or some other mild acid on the pewter, which will blacken it, then buff some of it off with 0000 steel wool, leaving some on, and it will look old. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps and good luck, Bud

Grind the top of the tang down a bit. Then, do what J.M. suggested in the first part of his post. Wrap the joint where the tang is inserted into the antler with a bit of rawhide (that can be tricky) to hide the joint and you'll get something that looks kinda like this.
Knifeandsheathfront.jpg

That is a great looking knife you have there. I like the rawhide wrap.

I decided to use brass pins to hold the blade onto the handle. I have the handle cut out. I set it up in my mill and cut the slot for the tang. I'll finish the design to the end of the tang. It looks pretty nice. As soon as I drill the holes for the pins I'll start to shape the handle. I haven't decided on the pewter yet? Would Babbitt work? I have some of that. Maybe a design in the handle or something? This wood is very hard!

Thanks for the site on the pewter poring! I want to try that.

I'll post pictures soon, Wes

Powder Keg said:
Would Babbitt work? I have some of that. Maybe a design in the handle or something? This wood is very hard! Wes
Yes Babitt works fine. Pouring designs can be done but is much mor difficult to get "right". Practice with the plain first.......

Gray Wolf - are you associated with the Wild Rose Trading Company??
yes that's me and my wife....

Thank you Gray Wolf - would you be willing to share any thoughts, suggestions or tutorials on coloring/dying rawhide?? I have tried Earth Pigments and hide glue, but, am not too pleased with my results. Of course, my technique has been 'best guess' so far. :( :confused:

Latest posts

Back