• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help with barrel markings/Id on what i believe is aN Enfield P59 Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cebusey

40 Cal
Reaction score
I received yesterday my latest project. I believe it is a P59 Enfield. The lock is Enfield marked and has the crown over VR markings indicating British military issue of some type. Lock appears to be original to the piece. I have not been able to read the date of the lock yet as iIam in the early stages of cleaning alot of dirt & surface rust. The barrel is marked on the left side of the rear post sight N.S. over S I R with the S sightly lower than the IR. Their is no apparent Nepalese, Arabic or Sanskrit markings that I have found. Bands are all Enfield marked and the left side of the butt is marled 215 over 57(or 1)92. Any help with identification is appreciated.

Attachments

• enfield 2.jpg
    enfield 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • Enfield barrel markings.jpg
    Enfield barrel markings.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 0
  • enfield 5.jpg
    enfield 5.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Makers in England produced enfield “style” muskets and carbines for export to less fortunate nations. I had a carbine that had no military marks whatsoever. The only name on it was swinford. And it was pretty rough when new. Might be a Belgian copy too.

Thanks for your input.
Have found out a bit more on this thanks to our cousins across the pond and it may also apply to your carbine. This musket appears at this point to fall into a catagory refered to as "mutiny" muskets. After the Sepoy mutiny in India, The British did not want to arm their colonial troops with arms equal to their P1853 Enfield rifles. At first they took British manufactured P1853 muskets and bored out the rifling to make them smoothbores and they replaced the sights with a simple post sight. Later they made them purposely as smoothbores. P1853 rifles were made not just by Enfield but by many subcontractors and I think Swinson may have been one. They dealt with Belgian and even a factory in the US for production during our CW period. Arms intended for commercial or export markets had just a crown behind the hammer. British military issue P1853s had a crown with the initials VR under the crown. I am just repeating what i have been told so please jump in if anyone has more information or if I have something wrong.

My carbine was rifled. The lock parts were not first rate, I don’t think they would have passed an inspection.

Back