• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identifying this flintlock Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all! Need some help here. This blunderbuss was given to me by my uncle. Apparently, he had ordered it shortly before COVID, and it took almost two years to get to him. He moved out of his house and decided to get rid of some of his guns, which I happily took, but I can no longer get in contact with him to find out more about this thing. The barrel is heavy brass, and the touch hole is literally just a hole drilled into the side. Here's some pictures, the only thing missing out of them is a sharpie mark under the barrel of "XLN". Any ideas? And what would be a max powder charge? (I currently have 3F, I don't want to order 2F right now because none of my other guns use it.)
FB_IMG_1697438135680.jpg
FB_IMG_1697438127452.jpg
IMG_20231015_235845805.jpg

Just an India replica blunderbuss. I would find a good MUZZLE LOADING gunsmith to check the breeching before you fire it, some of the pictures of other breeching on these replicas made me turn pale…..

That is the French or Military brass-barreled blunderbuss as sold by many outfits like Veteran Arms and Military Heritage, amongst others. They sell for $600 to $700 or more, depending if in stock, as I'm sure the higher price reflects those that are available as of late.

On YouTube there is a channel called 'InRangeTV' where they shoot one of these a lot and have videos on different loads and wads. Or send an email to either VA or MH and ask for their loading info, as they provide a load sheet with each piece sold. I'd say 60-grains 2Fg or less would be perfect for using these for what they are.

Breeching - If in doubt - proof it, double load, double ball or shot, using safe proofing practices, etc. That said, I've proofed 3 Indian arms so far and even had Bobby Hoyt check out another one and all were sound and integral - no issues. All still shooting to this day, even though I only kept the best one ... the 2-1/2" bore hand mortar ... for myself!

FYI, the MH site has details on the steel it is made from and an overview of the production process. I also have 2 test reports on Indian-made barrels of the DOM process, Drawn Over Mandrel. One survived proof loads up to 400-grains of powder (CAUTION - Proof load testing only!) and 2 patched roundballs at which the test was stopped so as to just stop wasting powder (see attached test report). That is one test that I shall not repeat, haha!

The other test is by the highly respected testing laboratory of H.P. White. That was a barrel used by a reenactor with blank charges, of which it is believed that a few may have been stuffed down the barrel before it finally went off, as the cause was an obstruction a good foot or more forward of the breech. Their analysis found no microscopic or grain structure/material defects with the barrel or the barrel steel.

My summary - Indian-made arms may not be for everybody, I certainly understand that - but they can be shot ...

Attachments

• DOM Tubing Used for MZL Barrels.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • HP White Test Report of Damaged MZL Barrel.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
I had a Belgian replica blunderbuss, made in the 1960’s I think , brass barrel. You could unscrew the breech plug BY HAND……it had a very nice sparking lock, I made a fake lock for it and used it as a wall hanger.

Back