• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identifying muzzleloading rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Short version of a longer story....I inherited a smooth bore flintlock muzzleloading rifle from my my 4th great grandfather, Abel Ogden Penfield (1787 – 1871). His father was Sgt. John Penfield (1747 – 1829). Sgt. John Penfield fought in the Revolutionary War. I believe that the original owner of this muzzleloader was Capt. Thomas Brush (1715 - 1802). He also fought in the Revolutionary War. This muzzleloader has a bore diameter of 0.54”. Its barrel length is about 44” and its total length of about 59.5”. It has some interesting letters (possibly initials) carved into both sides of the butt stock and something which appears to be a Roman Numeral (XXII) carved into one side of the butt stock. It also has NO proof marks or maker’s marks of any kind on any of the metal parts that I can see. Since the original owner (Thomas Brush) died in 1802, it must have been built before that date. The Roman Numerals (XXII) carved in the butt stock suggest to me that it was associated with some sort of military organization. Can anybody tell me anything about this muzzleloader? Is there a possibility that it could have been used in the Revolutionary War?
Thank you.

Attachments

• musket6.jpg
    musket6.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 191
  • musket5.jpg
    musket5.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 176
  • musket4.jpg
    musket4.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 174
  • musket3.jpg
    musket3.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 189
  • musket2.jpg
    musket2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 181
  • powder_horn2.jpg
    powder_horn2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 188
  • powder_horn1.jpg
    powder_horn1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 175
  • musket1.jpg
    musket1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 176
  • able_penfield1e.jpg
    able_penfield1e.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 169
Hi,
It is possible the gun is as old as the Rev War. The stock appears to have been cut back possibly to mount a bayonet. My first impression is southern New England made, perhaps by one of the Hills family, but I need to see more. I'd like the see the trigger guard, butt plate tang, and barrel breech in more detail. Also, do you have an idea about the stock wood? Where were Brush and Penfield from and in what units did they serve?

dave

Thanks very much for your reply. I have added some information about the Penfields and Thomas Brush below. In the next day or two I will take the photos which you suggested and post them. I don't know what type of wood is used for the sock but I will have a friend of mine who does a lot of woodworking look at it.

Note: All information, except photos, is from various sources on the Internet.

Abel Ogden Penfield (1787 – 1871).
Born: New Fairfield, Fairfield, CT
Died: Pittsford, Rutland, VT
Abel worked from 1812 to 1820 as an apprentice in the clothier’s trade in Hartford, VT. He came to Pittsford in 1820 and bought a share of the Pittsford Manufacturing Company and operated the Woolen Mill and Grist Mill with his brothers.

Sgt. John Penfield (1747 – 1829).
Born: Fairfield, CT.
Died: Pittsford, Rutland, VT
On November 1, 1770 he married Eunice Ogden, who was born in Fairfield in 1753. He moved with his wife to New Fairfield in about 1778 and then to Pittsford, Vermont.
He served as a sergeant in Captain Hubbell's Company, 16th Regiment of the Continental Army (American Revolution) in Pittsford, VT

CPT Thomas Brush (1715 - 1802).
Born: Huntington, Suffolk County, NY
Died: Fairfield, Fairfield County, CT and buried in New Fairfield Cemetery, New Fairfield, Fairfield County, CT
He was Justice of the Peace of Fairfield County, CT. He lived in New Fairfield, CT. The inscription on his grave stone says “Capt Continental Line Rev War”. A “Tho’ Brush” is listed on a “Pay Role for Horse Travel Capt. Peter Penfield Company 16th Regiment…New fairfield July 17 1779”

Hi Rodney,
Possible Bingo! Benoni, Medad, and John Hills worked in Goshen CT. Most of their guns were stocked in maple. You side plate in particular is a dead ringer for their guns.

dave

Very cool gun. I really like that horn too.
Funny how areas acquire certain trades or talents. Goshen is fairly local to me and I stop at a couple places there frequently, one of those places being a great gunshop who's owner does quit a bit of gunsmithing on older guns. Usually older suppository guns, but he does buy and sell traditional muzzleloaders too.

Its' got some age'. The faceted cock likely replacement, Colonial gun, fowling piece, maid of all work , Maybe pressed into service as a Militia Musket . Nice piece and right where it should be with the familiy. Rudyard

Thanks to all of you for your responses! In my younger years I did quite a bit of hunting here in Alaska and know a bit about modern firearms, but I know almost nothing about antique firearms. I was able to trace the history of the muzzleloader (accurately, I hope) from a few clues - the rifle came from my great grandmother's house, her maiden name was Abbie Penfield, the powder horn had the initials "AP" carved into the wooden plug in the big end of the horn, and the brass side plate had the name "Thomas Brush" neatly engraved on it. I'm looking forward to doing some more browsing on the Internet to learn something about the Hills family.

Rod

You might note, the lock is engraved, but the frizzen has an unbridled pan. So this was a civilian lock. YET the wrist area has a British style, military style Escutcheon, (very Bess-like). Further the nose and tail of the trigger guard have embellished ends from what I can see. The photo of you holding it shows room for a bayonet, again military use is indicated.

So this might possibly have been an Officer's fusil, which means an officer would have ordered it made, and would've ordered it to look a lot like a Bess. If so..., you have an uncommon musket, from the AWI, that is still in Flintlock not having been modified to caplock over the years. :thumb: IF the area where it may have been made was also an area where they made Committee of Safety muskets at the beginning of the AWI, then you have a plausible scenario for why it looks as it does. A lot of the CoS muskets were copies, ranging from partial resemblance to the Brown Bess to duplicates of the Brown Bess.

Muzzle Loader Original 2.jpg

LD

Thank you very much for your observations. I am enjoying all the observations which folks have contributed because I know almost nothing about antique firearms. U hope to get a few more photos posted later today.
Rod

Hi Rodney,
There are 3 similar fowlers and muskets shown in Tom Grinslade's book (Flintlock Fowlers) with almost identical hardware. All 3 are by the Hills family, probably Medad, of Goshen, CT. I believe the connection of your gun with that shop is very strong.

dave

A "powder f;ask" also came along with the musket. (The leather thong is a modern addition.) Can anyone give me some sort of estimate of its age?

Thanks,
Rod
powder_flask.jpg

Flask looks to be a proper 'Tin horn' likely had a cork & or a cap to serve as a measure doubtless a cheap offering but such survivers are rare. My pure guess is 19th early 20th . You get similar tin flasks sold with powder in them so called' Poormans flasks ' dateing late 19th early 20th and such where offered in India new in the 1970s.Yours is the only one I've seen in this particular style . Though I have a earlier Lanthorn pear shaped flask with simple glued on leather edging covering the wire sewn pressed horn halves and the measure is a simple cap with a B net type fitting and painted in similar fashion to yours but likley late 18th c going by its style . But showing cheaper offerings were sold throughout flask use .And doubtless the thrifty made do with empty bottles or simple cow horn ones . What is so nice about your gun & flask is its got the family provenance. Sorry I'me a bit speculative but hope that helps Regards Rudyard

That information is actually very interesting and has some relevance to my flintlock musket. I have always been interested in photography and even taught photography for many years (along with various science and math classes) back in the days of film photography. i have an original photograph (not a daguerreotype) of Able Ogden Penfield (1787–1871). He was my third great grandfather, from whom I inherited the flintlock. However, I have no idea when the photograph was actually taken. The original photograph is very faded and has lots of spots of various kinds on it. I scanned it and "repaired" it using a photo editing program. I am posting the original scan, the scan of his name om the back of the photograph,
abel_penfiedl_scan.jpg
able_penfield1e.jpg
abel_penfield_scan.jpg
and the "repaired" version.

Thanks very much for the link which you posted.
Rod

Latest posts

Back