• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help Identifying 2x2, Muzzle loading Percussion Belgian Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just recently joined the forum, am a C&R collector and just picked up this gun as a project. Once cleaned up, the gun sparked a lot of interest. I believe it is Belgian, but am not sure of the date or maker. If anyone can provide information on this example, please chime in. Here are the pics. Thanks very much!

Greg

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3937.jpg
IMG_3934.jpg
IMG_3938.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg
IMG_3943.jpg
IMG_3947.jpg

It IS Belgian. It dates from around 1840 - 50 from the style of lock. Without any form of name visible on it, it's going to be impossible to ascribe a maker or even retailer, mainly because guns like this were made by the tens of thousands for the burgeoning homesteading trend in America between those dates and immediately post ACW. By the time that companies like Sears, Robuck and Co had gotten themselves organised, they were selling a couple of thousand like this every day of the week by mail order, for as little as $5......

It IS Belgian. It dates from around 1840 - 50 from the style of lock. Without any form of name visible on it, it's going to be impossible to ascribe a maker or even retailer, mainly because guns like this were made by the tens of thousands for the burgeoning homesteading trend in America between those dates and immediately post ACW. By the time that companies like Sears, Robuck and Co had gotten themselves organised, they were selling a couple of thousand like this every day of the week by mail order, for as little as $5......
Thanks! So they aren't particularly rare... Is there any sort of collector's market for these now?

I have a nice Belgian original exactly like yours. Mine measures out as a 15 gauge. I use 15 gauge components when shooting it. They are nice shooting ol girls if everything on yours is safe to shoot. I got mine really cheap because one of the hammers has been replaced and doesn’t match exactly.

Thanks! So they aren't particularly rare... Is there any sort of collector's market for these now?

Not that I'm aware of. there were several HUNDRED ateliers in Liége alone, all churning these workaday guns out literally by the wagon-load. They make good decoration pieces, though. Seeing that those with names on represented, for the most part, fake takes on well-known brands of the day, like 'Hulland & Hulland', 'Smith' [without any initials], 'Wostley-Rechards' and so on, they are not, in general, taken seriously.

They played their part in the building of America when it was heading West, and deserve recognition for that alone. The better-class were sold by better-class retailers, and priced accordingly. When a Remington shotgun could cost $20 or more, these could be had for $10. Money was hard to find - what would you have bought?

They have to be in tip top shooting condition to bring any kind of money. Most of these were used hard , then put in the attic or chicken coop once cheaper breechloading shotguns were available.

Back