• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need a little help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I goofed not paying attention and drilled and tapped for the drum 1/4x20. Well I can't find a drum to fit that thread. What size can I drill it out to and use a bigger drum? Any help appreciated.

I goofed not paying attention and drilled and tapped for the drum 1/4x20. Well I can't find a drum to fit that thread. What size can I drill it out to and use a bigger drum? Any help appreciated.
I originally installed a 1/4-28 drum on my first rifle and after some reading, found out people generally didn't like a 1/4" thread supporting a drum that's getting smacked by a hammer. I redrilled and tapped the hole for 5/16-24 threads just fine, the minor diameter of those threads is something like 0.26 in. so you won't have any remnants of the old threads if you get things centered.

edit: Dave beat me to it

“ if I were me” I AM me…… at least I used to be?
Years ago Tom Rush told a story of a French Canadian neighbor whom he encountered after the neighbor had been drinking heavily and didn't look so good. When Tom saw him later he asked how he was doing to which the neighbor replied, in a heavy French Canadian accent, "I'm a whole lot more like I am now than I was a while ago."

Does anyone make drums that are longer ,if I had one I could move the nipple farther out closer to the clean out screw eliminating the need for so much bend in the hammer.

TOTW makes drums with no nipple thread.

You install the drum, mark for the nipple location and drill/tap for the nipple.

I've done it several times and it's a breeze.

If I listened to the voice in my head I’d be hungry,naked and homeless but I’d have some pretty cool guns.
If you do your backyard gardening naked the neighbors will build you a privacy fence for no charge!

Latest posts

Back