• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need a good throwing knife and hawk..help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Have a friendly family competition coming up this winter and want to get to practicing now so I can hold my own against my brothers. Where can I get a good throwing hawk and knives as well as any links on how throw then successfully?

Thanks,

Bill

I have a cpl hawks from cold steel they both seem to balance well I have the trail hawk and their frontier hawk. you tube has some good video on how to

Look up Fort Turner. They make great throwing knives and tomahawks. Made in California and not off shore... :thumbsup:

I never had a problem throwing a 'hawk, be it made by an American smith vs. an (East) Indian smith. You might want to get a half dozen handles with your 'hawk as a lot of practice, even when not throwing them in pairs, can booger up a handle. Quite frankly, I'd rather throw an inexpensive India made 'hawk for practice, and bung up the edge when it misses and hits a rock when it hits the ground, or hits another 'hawk when throwing doubles (or gets hit when throwing doubles), and keep my USA hand forged 'hawk for actual camp and hunting work. :grin:

Now as for a knife... try this one from Crazy Crow, as I have seen them used several times to win competitions. They are not stainless, and over time will develope a nice patina. Crazy Crow also offers a book on knife and 'hawk throwing.

Although I never learned to throw a knife, I did learn that they need to be pretty stiff blades, as a very springy blade can recoil off a wood target on impact, and go flying in odd directions.

LD

I don't know much about throwing hawks and knives. But watch out for the ones from cold steel they have changed the way they are made and are not as thick as they use to be, I don't know if that matters but just wanted to put that out there. I have a old one from them that looks very well made. My brother has a newer one that still well made does not look like it would hold up to being thrown for very long.

With this; http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/473/1/BOOK-KTT

And this; http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/473/1/TOMAHAWK-NR

And this; http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/463/1/BLADE-THROW

And alot of practice, you'll win.
There's alot of advice in the archives here if ya dig for it about the throwing part.

If nothing else get the hawk I listed, the "New Reliable" is about the easiest to learn and best to use.

Like already said, get extra handles. And keep the area behind your pratice block open and clear.
You don't want to spend 30-40 on a hawk or knife just to loose it in the tall grass,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Where can I get a good throwing hawk and knives as well as any links on how throw then successfully?
You can make knives as good as you can buy. They are not fine cutlery. They don't have to cut, only stick.
Throwers.jpg

The large knives on the left are all store bought -from TotW and others. The one in the middle and those on the right are all homemade. The one in the middle has a twin now and is my best thrower.
Quarter inch steel bar from McMaster-Carr, a hacksaw, a grinder and a file. Add some old fashioned friction tape and you have a got your practice throwers.
For scales, I use quarter inch leather pinned on with cut and peened nails. When the throwing gets tight, this happens:
34609_1477488428273_1565621454_3115.jpg

Pete

Aye, a throwing knife need only be made of mild steel, 1/8" thick which you can cut out with a jigsaw and sharpened on a bench grinder if you dont have many tools. I have made several, and put leather handles on them because fancy handles just come off.

My needs and perception in the hobby have changed to where I no longer use or carry my throwing knife, and choose to carry a forged blade matching that of an 18th century knife. But, I have thrown a knife a few thousand times I suppose.

I can help some in teaching.
The trick is to throw with the same release point and motion every time, consistantly. The consistant part will take time in practice.

Once you are throwing consistantly (even if you are not sticking), adjust your distence closer or further away from the target.
Another trick is, the knife (and hawk) needs to complete one revolution after it leaves your hand. If you are too far away, your knife will spin more than one rev and hit the back of the blade or the handle coming back around.
If your too close, the blade will hit the knife's edge flat, and you need to scoot back.
Start with mini steps to adjust. A half step can go a long way with throwing a knife.

Hope this helps.

its generally not the quality of what your throwing but all the hours of practice ya put in that really makes the difference, I've seen guys throw n stick all kinds of stuff to prove that. like the old adage "practice-practice-practice"
:thumbsup:

you aint kiddin Birdman, MY wife can hit me with anything in the kitchen now, its taken 20 yrs but now she's good out to 20'

Over the last thirty years I have had a lot of hawks and knives.I myself always come back to the simple Dixie throwing hawk. ( They were 19.95 ) back in the late sixries.) For a throwing knife I don't think you can beat Axeman's knives. You can find them at Axeman.us. :idunno:

Rev_William said:
you aint kiddin Birdman, MY wife can hit me with anything in the kitchen now, its taken 20 yrs but now she's good out to 20'
I can't throw a knife for squat but do not be in throwing range of me and piss me off. I can nail you with a thrown shoe every time. :grin:

:rotf:
cynthialee said:
Rev_William said:
I can't throw a knife for squat but do not be in throwing range of me and piss me off. I can nail you with a thrown shoe every time. :grin:
I'll remember that

Haha, you and my wife must have had the same coach, even when I think I'm out of range she sets a new personal best.

LOL mine just waits until I finally hit the hay n I come to later with WAGNER imprinted across my forehead from the cast iron frying pan,then she'll sweetly smile n say "Mornen" when I wobble down stairs :surrender: . She might be a mean ol broad but shes sure got my six when things get rough,a goooood woman
:haha: :thumbsup:

I got my Hawks at The Gun Works, they are forged and very nice. They also sell some nice throwing knives. H&B throwing knives, forged.

I'm making my throwing knife at the moment. Going sloooowly.

Back