• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Navy Arms Zouave w/bayonet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mastadonald

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Navy Arms Mississippi rifle for sale, .54 cal. Aged for reenacting, bayonet and sling included.$600 plus shipping. Great shape, I have never fired it.

Mastadon

Attachments

• 4014875_4.jpg
    4014875_4.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 472
  • 4014875_3.jpg
    4014875_3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 510
  • 4014875_1.jpg
    4014875_1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 542
That’s not a Mississippi. It’s a brass fitted 1855. Likely a Confederate arsenal model, not enough of an expert to say which with certainty.

This is not a complaint...that gun is cooler than a regular 1841.

How does the bore look?

edit to add:

Type 1 1855 model. Only a little over 700 were made before switching to the iron mounted Type 2.

The lock is not an 1855 lock. But for an older italian repro it’s not surprising that they wouldn’t spend the $$ to recreate the 1855 lock.

Last edited:
Hi. It's not an 1855 either. The brass mounted 1855 would have the springfield style lockplate and screw cleanout bolster. This is the 1863 Remington Rifle. They are a weird combination of 1855 and 1841 parts. Neat rifles in their own right and often very good shooters.

Hi. It's not an 1855 either. The brass mounted 1855 would have the springfield style lockplate and screw cleanout bolster. This is the 1863 Remington Rifle. They are a weird combination of 1855 and 1841 parts. Neat rifles in their own right and often very good shooters.

Yep, it’s a Zouave. I got sucked in by the patch box and brass furniture... Still a nice gun.

Oh boy, to my intense embarassment you guys are exactly correct, definitely not a Mississippi. A good reminder to pay attention when I buy things.....this is been sitting in the safe unlooked at for along time.

Oh boy, to my intense embarassment you guys are exactly correct, definitely not a Mississippi. A good reminder to pay attention when I buy things.....this is been sitting in the safe unlooked at for along time.
I have been looking a long time. Disappointed. I have a Zouave.

Sorry, I didn't know they made .54 Zouaves, everyone I've ever seen were .58 caliber.

kje54, No worries, I guess I'm trying to confirm if this rifle is a Zouave then how can it be .54 cal? Or, if it's .54 cal, how can it be a Zouave?

kje54, No worries, I guess I'm trying to confirm if this rifle is a Zouave then how can it be .54 cal? Or, if it's .54 cal, how can it be a Zouave?
My apologies again, assumed (bad mistake on my part) you were looking for one in .54 caliber.
Matter of fact, I can't think of a single Civ War military musket that was made in a smaller caliber than .54. That's just musing on my part.

The patchbox and sight point to it being a Zouave repro.The Mississippi repros have a small fixed sight and a longer patchbox. The pictures are small on my tablet, but that's what I think I am seeing. I'm a newby to the forum, hope you don't mind my 2 cents worth. Not to be smart, but if the model was mistaken, could the caliber be mistaken also?

The patchbox and sight point to it being a Zouave repro.The Mississippi repros have a small fixed sight and a longer patchbox. The pictures are small on my tablet, but that's what I think I am seeing. I'm a newby to the forum, hope you don't mind my 2 cents worth. Not to be smart, but if the model was mistaken, could the caliber be mistaken also?
Yeah, it's already been determined it's a .58 caliber Zouave not a Mississippi, the OP just made a mistake.

Navy Arms Mississippi rifle for sale, .54 cal. Aged for reenacting, bayonet and sling included.$600 plus shipping. Great shape, I have never fired it.

Mastadon
If you can still edit you might want to change the title from Mississippi to Zouave. If not then have one of the mods do it for you. :thumb:

Mystery solved then, interesting and fun conversation

Yep, its .58. Sorry for the confusion...if anyone is interested make an offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back