• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms (Pietta) SxS shotgun, 28" barrel - Opinions ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
May have an opportunity to pick one up for $400
Looking for something to play with on the clay bird ranges
(conversation here: Does a 12 g BP shotgun exist that will shoot a pattern with no holes at 35 yards? )

I have a Pietta New Army revolver I'm happy with but until now never knew they made a full size shotgun, just the coach gun they have on their site now

What do we know about this gun ? (I can't find much)
Choked ? Chromed barrel ?
Reliable ?
Quality - do they tend to shoot "Mickey Mouse" ears or are the barrels usually well synced, and do they stay attached together with use ?

They are highly liked. I'm sure Spence owns one(?).
I have only ever handle them.
I am 99% certain the bores are not chrome plated.
Is there any youtube videos?

I had one for years and used it more than any other gun i have owned, Took a lot of jackrabbits, doves, ducks and a couple geese, as well as wild turkey, and other game. They are a really nice gun, and $400 is a fair price. No chrome bores and both barrels are cylinder bore, but i never was a hindrance to me. In fact, i shot better with it than any other shotgun i have owned, including modern ones.

Ya $400 is a great price if bores are good- inspect very carefully for slight bulges or
cracks. For a fowling piece you are fine, if shooting slugs the issue becomes
regulation at 50 to 75 yds. At that price, you should inspect and go for it. It
would be nice to test it first but that is often not possible. Those are all around
woods guns and also when loaded right can take down deer and bear.

Seems very fair at $400. I have one I got for $450. I have yet to shoot it, but it fits me well, quality is good,it's slightly bulkier than my early Pedersoli I hunt with, but points and shoulders great. I will be giving it to my boy when he puts on a few more pounds. You should grab it. One you pass up is one you shall never have.

I purchased mine new in 1986 for $349,00. No choke, no chrome lined barrels. I think it is a great shotgun for upland game - not heavy and swings very well. If it has not been abused then the price is right. One thing I have heard is that the bridle on the locks have broken for some people but mine are just fine. Replacement bridles can be had from VTI Gun Parts. I also heard that Pedersoli bridles will fit but I don't know that as fact.

I have one of those guns and I received it with a broken lock bridle. It took quite a lot of searching to find one, I even had a local jeweler try and solder the broken one with no luck. No other complaints other than that. It is decent quality and very serviceable.

I passed on the original one in the gun shop and spend a few dollars more on one from one of the members here. (Prefer to keep the business in the family if you know what I mean)

The one I posted about is still available at Communales Italian butcher and gun shop in Mt Bethel PA

I have one I bought used a few years ago. I have been very happy with it. Don't shoot it a whole bunch, but have shot some clays and grouse with it. Hope to kill a turkey with it someday.

Back