• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Navy Arms Miroku Charleville Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Navy Arms/Miroku Charleville Musket .69 Cal
Amazingly appears to be unfired, the frizzen is untouched. The gun appears to have been handled a fair bit and the bright barrel has some tarnish from handling, but is in great shape. 44-1/2" barrel, bore is clean and unused, lock feels good and strong. Stock is very pretty, appears to be walnut rather than the cherry of some of the other Miroku made replicas. Weighs 9lbs 4oz, which is about 3lbs less than the pedersoli. And has an actual brass front sight. These are highly sought after as they are the most historically accurate factory reproduction of the Charleville type.

$1400 Shipping Included
PXL_20230716_214934055.jpg
PXL_20230716_214943994.jpg
PXL_20230716_215003807.jpg
PXL_20230716_215017826.jpg
PXL_20230716_215032383.jpg
PXL_20230717_031336021.jpg
PXL_20230716_215056342.jpg
PXL_20230716_215113252.jpg
PXL_20230716_215105729.jpg
PXL_20230717_020126199.jpg

Navy Arms/Miroku Charleville Musket .69 Cal
Amazingly appears to be unfired, the frizzen is untouched. The gun appears to have been handled a fair bit and the bright barrel has some tarnish from handling, but is in great shape. 44-1/2" barrel, bore is clean and unused, lock feels good and strong. Stock is very pretty, appears to be walnut rather than the cherry of some of the other Miroku made replicas. Weighs 9lbs 4oz, which is about 3lbs less than the pedersoli. And has an actual brass front sight. These are highly sought after as they are the most historically accurate factory reproduction of the Charleville type.

$1400 Shipping Included View attachment 236731View attachment 236732View attachment 236733View attachment 236734View attachment 236735View attachment 236736View attachment 236737View attachment 236738View attachment 236739View attachment 236740
Appears just like mine. I didn't realize the Peder weighed over 12 lbs.!

I for some reason have never been a Miroku fan, maybe the look of the Cherry wood against everything else I don't exactly know. I know they are popular and very well made. All of that said, if I were in the market for a very nice Charleville I would pick this one up today. What a beautiful musket, the whole thing caught my eye right away. This is surely going to make someone really happy making lot's of smoke!

Mine was some unknown asian wood and was a 2 piece stock with the seam hidden under the lower barrel band. It had a finish similar to this one

Mine was some unknown asian wood and was a 2 piece stock with the seam hidden under the lower barrel band. It had a finish similar to this one
I've always been under the impression that all Miroku Charleville's had a two piece stock, I have no idea if that's actually the case or not. At any rate, to me that's a small price to pay for a ready-made musket that's less of a brick than the Pedersoli Charleville!

I've always been under the impression that all Miroku Charleville's had a two piece stock, I have no idea if that's actually the case or not. At any rate, to me that's a small price to pay for a ready-made musket that's less of a brick than the Pedersoli Charleville!

Well to be fair, they’re not based on the same charleville patterns they intend to represent, the 1766/68 pattern.

The pedersoli is based on a late heavy model 1763 and is actually not too far off from the original, Fort Ticonderoga and Williamsburg both have an original specimen which is very close to the pedersoli model, in size, and weight, the major difference being the breech on the originals is much larger, at around 36mm, 1.408” wide and 1.445 tall at .72 cal. Pedersoli’s is slightly smaller in the breech but has a slower taper making it just as heavy. And the barrel band system used the updated version, without the long rammer guide between the nose band and middle band.

The miroku charleville believe it or not, is more similar to a 1795 and 1808 in size style and weight than an 1766 charleville. The Miroku charleville is around 9.5lbs with a two piece birch stock, where as if it were American or Asian Walnut, it would be over 10 lbs. easily. Original 1766’s were very light. Almost under 8lbs. The french walnut stocks were very slender, the barrel’s weighed only around 3.8 lbs and the locks were modestly sized around 6 1/4 where as the miroku lock is just under 6 1/2 inches and the barrel weight is just over 4.5lbs.

The 1766 charleville by the rifle shoppe is the closest pattern you’ll find to an original repro, the only real difference is the rifle shoppe made the stocks a little more beefier because the originals were very fragile.

Very nice, looks like walnut to me?

None of these were made in Walnut.

For a period of time, Dixie Gun Works and Navy Arms sold replacement stocks made from Maple, Walnut and Cherry, its very rare to find one of these with a stock in something other than the factory wood, which is very cheaply done.

Well to be fair, they’re not based on the same charleville patterns they intend to represent, the 1766/68 pattern.

The pedersoli is based on a late heavy model 1763 and is actually not too far off from the original, Fort Ticonderoga and Williamsburg both have an original specimen which is very close to the pedersoli model, in size, and weight, the major difference being the breech on the originals is much larger, at around 36mm, 1.408” wide and 1.445 tall at .72 cal. Pedersoli’s is slightly smaller in the breech but has a slower taper making it just as heavy. And the barrel band system used the updated version, without the long rammer guide between the nose band and middle band.

The miroku charleville believe it or not, is more similar to a 1795 and 1808 in size style and weight than an 1766 charleville. The Miroku charleville is around 9.5lbs with a two piece birch stock, where as if it were American or Asian Walnut, it would be over 10 lbs. easily. Original 1766’s were very light. Almost under 8lbs. The french walnut stocks were very slender, the barrel’s weighed only around 3.8 lbs and the locks were modestly sized around 6 1/4 where as the miroku lock is just under 6 1/2 inches and the barrel weight is just over 4.5lbs.

The 1766 charleville by the rifle shoppe is the closest pattern you’ll find to an original repro, the only real difference is the rifle shoppe made the stocks a little more beefier because the originals were very fragile.
That makes good sense; I'm far less familiar with French military arms of the period than British military arms of the period. I did know there was a heavy Model 1763 but didn't realize the Pedersoli was a fairly faithful copy of it. That's great news!

That makes good sense; I'm far less familiar with French military arms of the period than British military arms of the period. I did know there was a heavy Model 1763 but didn't realize the Pedersoli was a fairly faithful copy of it. That's great news!

Yea, the heavy model 1763 was the prototype new model musket.

It went through a series of changes, the french really wanted a heavier musket that could stand up to abuse, like a brown bess. The earlier patterns of the 1717 series were very fragile. Locks failed, stocks often broke and parts became unstable in the stock because it was so slender.

One big issue with the 1717 series was the loading rod, it was a very skinny iron loading rod and when the soldiers returned it, it would often slip past th middle band, so a rammer guide was added to 1763 heavy model, sometimes referred to as a spring too. It was 12-14” long and made of sheet steel and riveted to the front band. While it was a good ideal, it was not practical, all they had to do was angle the lip of the front band upward and the rod guides itself. They ended up deleting it around 1764/65 and made another heavy model 1763 which very much closely resembles the miroku 1766, these are very rare, one is on display at Ft. Ticonderoga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back