• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms - Le Mat - UNMARKED

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnh

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have a Navy Arms Le Mat I am going to sell, and on looking at it closely it has no proofmarks, no BP warning, and no Italy marking. Only Col. Le Mat on top, and Navy Arms on the side. The serial number is 254. Were some of these made or assembled in the US having no Italian proofs or or marking?

Some had minimal point of origin proof marks but not a lot of extraneous language. But the fact you find no proof marks tells me it has been defarbed.

The gun is unfired and in new condition. On close inspection, no markings have been removed.

That is the point, it has not been defarbed. Perhaps some were assembled in the US, like 2nd generation Colt black powders.

That is why I posed the question. It is in new condition and has no foreign markings of any type.

If it was defarbed by a skillful person that didn’t want to have it misstaken for an original then the Navy Arms and no other mark or signs of marks is very possible. Reblued and re color case hardening is done by many and even I will remove a lot of the extra markings to clean up a replica. Note that the proof marks on the receiver have been removed on this one before I recased it just because it wasn’t very nice looking Any builder will try to do the same.
1848 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Last edited:
I bought it from an elderly man who bought it new and does not shoot his guns.

Pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20211101_185115 (2).jpg
    IMG_20211101_185115 (2).jpg
    133 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20211101_185122.jpg
    IMG_20211101_185122.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20211101_185142.jpg
    IMG_20211101_185142.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 79
Back