• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Naval Full scale live fire video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl Feldmeyer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Don't know if the group has seen this before but it is very interesting to see the effects of live fire against a real ship target:[url] http://www.brigniagara.org/virtualtour/fightingsail.htm[/url]
:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Is that ever impressive. It's one thing to read about casualties from splinters but it's frightening to see it happen. We can only imagine what it was like to be aboard ship in major engagements! Hard to think what Trafalgar was really like. Thanks for putting it up.

I think there is an error in the text though. The distance between the two ships could not have been 2000 yards as listed in the text but was actually 200 yards wasn't it?

Thank you Karl F. Seeing that makes me want to hid in the crow's nest. Better bullets than cannon balls or chain shot anyday.

:hatsoff: My hats off to you, thank you so much aawesome video.. Thanks again
my best regards a loyalist dawg

OK, OK....I have to mention the mythbusters special where they showed how wooden shrapnel from a cannon ball has a minimal effect on humans...when I watched that episode, I was saying to myself, "this can't be right!". Watching this video confims my suspicions sbout the validity of the mythbusters tests. Can anyone comment on either?
Great video, BTW.

I am sure there will be a revisit on this one. They used an air cannon that was not near as powerful as a real cannon. I do have to say when they got to use a real cannon that was sweet. Definite revisit.

There were plenty of respnses on their website about the cannon theory. I sent them an email with a link to this video to show how wrong they are. Hopefully they will revisit this "myth" like they did with sniper scope shot test.

Not exactly a recruiting film for the USN is it? What people forget is the unimaginable suffering of the wounded... a tot of rum wouldn't come close to relieving the pain...no morphine...ughhh.
My eyes water digging out a tiny splinter... imagine some of the pieces in the filmclip hitting you???
That's an astonishing bit of footage!
See ya, Al

Back