• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Naval carriage for an 1812 barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zulu

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a naval carriage I built for a barrel that was made in 1812.
I do all the woodwork as well as the metal work myself.
The carriage is properly made with the capsquare bolts running vertically through the side cheeks for strength. The front bolts also go through the axle.
The carriage is narrower in the front and wider in the back. Because of this, all holes including the trunnion pockets have to be drilled at a 2 1/2 degree angle.
I will be happy to answer any questions anyone might have.
Michael

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

Alansgun2_zps7da8e7ec.jpg

Alansgun1_zps0c76067c.jpg

The wood looks to oak by the grain.

Mahogany stain for the finish?

No tires for the wheels?

Nice work all in all.

CP

The wood is oak.
The stain is something called Jacobean.
Not all naval carriages had tires. Here is a drawing I use for a reference on some of my carriages.
Michael

TruckCarriagePhotEditor_zpsa18b6ab2.jpg

Great looking carriage.
Why didn't you do the wheels in two pieces and oppose the grain as they stated? They would look really good with a riveted type construction.

PatrickH,
That drawing is for a much bigger carriage than the one I built.
I agree with you in that it would look pretty cool.
If I were to do a large carriage, I would have to build the wheels that way because I wouldn't be able to get wood wide enough without laminating it together.
Michael

I made everything on the carriage myself including the capsquares.
Michael

Great looking carriage. Do you make them for others ? I have a naval barrel that needs one. It is about 28" long with a 1 1/2" bore and trunnions. It looks to me like your work is in that size range or could be.
John

Back