• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MZ seasons before regular rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
It seems that muzzleloading seasons, at least in New England, are generally before the regular firearms season for deer. The only exception being New Hampshire and Rhode Island.

How many other states have their muzzleloader before the regular rifle season?

PA has the third week of oct fer anything goes muzzleloader season fer one week fer doe only.........bob

Need to recheck that Bigbore. We've always had our muzzle loader season before the regular firearms season here in R.I. Recently we have had a split season where there is an antlerless only on private land by muzzle loader that runs Dec 22 to 31st. Otherwise our muzzle loader season runs from Nov 4 to the 26. With an Oct 28 to Nov 3 private land antlerless permit just before it.

Shotgun season runs Dec 2 to 10th with another private land only antlerless tag good for the 11th to the 17th.

bigbore442001 said:
It seems that muzzleloading seasons, at least in New England, are generally before the regular firearms season for deer. The only exception being New Hampshire and Rhode Island.

We don't. :shake:

The Centerfire Shotgun & Pistol (no rifle) types get 2 weeks to scare the deer into the next state before MLs get a chance.

Bows get both an early and late season.

Of course, you could look at it as MLs getting an EXTRA two weeks since you can use an ML during Centerfire season, but lotta good that does.

I'd rather get my extra two weeks first.

NC has MZ season the week before regular gun starts in most counties. Doe day is the Saturday of that week.

Utah's ML is late September and rifle is mid October. Our ML used to be in November, during the rut, but alass, no more. :shake:

In Illinois we get the 3-day weekend before Thanksgiving and the 4-day weekend following Thanksgiving weekend for centerfire shotgun and pistol.

Muzzleloading rifle only tags are good for the last 4 days of firearm season and the following 3-day weekend. You can use a muzzleloader during the first 3 days of firearm too if you have a firearm season tag.

There is also a 3-day doe season in mid January where any gun will work including muzzleloading pistols.

Archery gets October 1 til mid January except for firearm season dates. Bowhunters gotta wear orange during last 3 of muzzleloader season.

Bigbore,
This year in Ohio bow season comes in
9/30.Shotgun slug season starts 11/27 to 12/3
and M/L are legal(including I/L :cursing: )
Then M/L only(including I/L's :cursing: )12/27
to 12/30.
BTW bow season last till 2/4/07 and
includes anytype bow including crossbow.As you
can see they have all the access to the rut.
I would really like to see maybe a 2 day M/L
hunt maybe the last week of Oct or first week
of Nov. but I don't see it anytime soon.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Saskatchewan's muzzleloading season is all of October. Any front stuffer is legal. Centrefire rifle is the last 3 weeks of November, running into December some years. Archery is September - October.

Qu'Appelle

New Hampshire's ML season is before the general firearms season. This year it opens OCT 28.

Old Ironsights said:
bigbore442001 said:

We don't. :shake:

The Centerfire Shotgun & Pistol (no rifle) types get 2 weeks to scare the deer into the next state before MLs get a chance.

Bows get both an early and late season.

Of course, you could look at it as MLs getting an EXTRA two weeks since you can use an ML during Centerfire season, but lotta good that does.

I'd rather get my extra two weeks first.
We need to get together and push for a Primitive Deer season in Michigan in October. Flintlocks, Longbows, Period Dress only, and NO hunter orange. Write the DNR, MUCC, and Your State Reps!
Jeff

We need to get together and push for a Primitive Deer season in Michigan in October. Flintlocks, Longbows, Period Dress only, and NO hunter orange. Write the DNR, MUCC, and Your State Reps!
Jeff
I second that Jeff. We need a dedicated "primitive season." I'd stump for that :thumbsup:

Buff is correct.

The PA pre-rifle muzzleloader season started as flintlock only. The game commision wanted more does killed to allow for forest regeneration, so they opened it up to inlines. I'm ambivalent about this :hmm: . More hunters in the woods moving the deer around is not always a bad thing. I have not seen an army of inline wielding orange coats. Most of my Pennsytucky acquaintenances remain loyal to their rock crushers.

Mississippi, the zone I'm in.

DEER SEASON DATES LEGAL DEER
Archery Sep. 30, 2006-
Nov. 17, 2006 Either Sex
Youth Gun Nov. 11, 2006-
Nov. 17, 2006 Either Sex (On Private Lands Only, Youth 15 and under)
Gun
(with dogs) Nov. 18, 2006-
Dec. 1, 2006 Either Sex on Private Lands Only;Legal bucks only on open public land
Primitive Weapon Dec. 2, 2006-
Dec. 15, 2006 Either Sex
Gun
(without dogs) Dec. 16, 2006-
Dec. 23, 2006 Either Sex on Private Lands Only;Legal bucks only on open public land
Dec. 16, 2006-
Dec. 17, 2006 Either Sex on open public land
Gun
(with dogs)
Dec. 24, 2006-
Jan. 17, 2007 Either Sex on Private Lands Only;Legal bucks only on open public land
Archery
Jan. 18, 2007-
Jan. 31, 2007 Either Sex
Primitive Weapon (private lands only) Jan. 18, 2007-
Jan. 31, 2007 Either Sex

Here's the seasons for the zone where I live in KY:

Archery Season Sept. 2 ”“ Jan. 15, Either sex
Crossbow Season Oct. 1-22, Nov. 11 ”“ Dec. 31, Either sex
Youth-Only Firearms Season (Age 15 & under only) Oct. 14-15, Either sex
Free Youth Hunting Weekend (Age 15 & under only) Dec. 30-31, Either sex
Muzzle-loading Season Oct. 21-22, Dec. 9-17, Either sex
Modern Gun Season Nov. 11 -20, Either sex

California has about a half dozen special M/L hunts. They are usually a short season, well AFTER the General season. They are limited to small areaa and are by drawing only. The late hunts here are quite desireable. Hunting pressure is over and weather is an advantage. GW

Latest posts

Back