• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mystery Muzzle Loader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tndavisusa

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A local shop called and wanted me to help id this old muzzle loader
mysterymuzzleloader001.jpg

mysterymuzzleloader003.jpg

mysterymuzzleloader006.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

No writing on the top barrel flat? Or in that second pic just to the left of the screw in the receiver, between that and the barrel is there address? It appears to have the iron forearm that Foster rifles had but the trigger guard and nipple area are different from whats seen on Fosters. Not sure if Wesson guns had forearms like that.

No writeing on barrel and you can barely make out Foster on the side of action. It appears to be probably a 36 cal.

Really? Interesting! It just maybe a Foster rifle as it was manufactured in both Taunton Mass and Bristol R.I. According to the Author of my book, all Foster rifles were made under George Pratt Foster's auspices at the Bristol Firearms Company by the same workmen who made the first model Burnside breechloaders.

This clearly shows,

G.P Foster
Bristol
R.I

Stamped just to left of that screw though.

I seriously doubt Wesson would have put Foster on one of their guns...

Heres a pic from my book on Foster rifles.

fosterrifle.jpg

It does look like a Wesson to me too.

If if is, it was made by Edwin Wesson, maker of fine percussion sporting and target rifles.

He was brother to Daniel B. Wesson the co founder of Smith & Wesson and Frank Wesson who made his mark with what developed into Wesson & Harrington and eventually Harrington & Richardson (H&R).

Swampy:
Now, there you go, posting photos that look like the gun while I'm writing. :rotf:

There were a few companys making rifles with a similar action back then with Wesson and Foster just being two of them. Now he clearly stated that he can see "Foster" stamped on the receiver. That would not make it a Wesson in my book.

Wow, butt plate, patchbox, everything I see there is exactly whats pictured here on these Foster rifles.

No, Foster rifles used an iron forestock. It appears to me the metal forestock is still on that gun.

The rifle pictured in my book is a heavy barreled 24" oct/rnd .40 cal but thats not to say all had 24" barrels. I'm sure there was different lengths and calibers produced. Neat find! Hopefully JV Puleo will see this and weigh in, he knows more about Fosters than I do. :thumbsup:

Its possible that the actions all came from the same place.
Wesson may have sold unmarked actions for all we know.
Dan

Interesting rifle...thanks for posting. Nobody has mentioned a date yet...just curious as to when it was likely made????

vtbuck223 said:
Interesting rifle...thanks for posting. Nobody has mentioned a date yet...just curious as to when it was likely made????

I think they started making actions of this sort in the early 1840s.

Dan

HEY!! I used to own one of those! Boy, does this gun bring back memories. The butt stock, frame, brass mounts, AND the short metal forearm piece look exactly like mine did. Except, my barrel was a full octagon, about 39-40" long, and .40Cal. The top barrel flat was clearly marked G.P. Foster. I bought it from a friend of mine's Father in 1965 for $65.00. It was in very good condition with about 80% of the original stock finish. Only problem was the hammer spur was broke off. I sent the original hammer and nipple to Dixie Gun Works and they were able to match one of their antique nipples in new condition with the same thread as my old worn nipple. (Those were the days) They also sent me a wax cast hammer with the correct throw that I drilled and filed the hole to fit the tumbler - at my High School Metal Shop Class. :haha: (Imagine trying to do that today in a public high school). :rotf: After a good barrel cleaning and inspection by a competent gunsmith, and heat treating of the hammer, she was ready to shoot. I remember using .390 balls (anyone remember the Dixie "Scissor" moulds?) and about 45 grains of Dupont. That gun would hold 1-2" groups, benched, at 50 yards - no matter who shot it. Well, thats my Foster story. Thanks for Posting and bringing back memories. :thumbsup: Another gun I wish I had back. :(

Latest posts

Back