• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mystery 45..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOneFive

32 Cal
Reaction score
Need help identifying what you would call this style... Thanks!
20240419_170359.jpg
20240419_170407.jpg
20240419_170421.jpg
20240419_170430.jpg

Hey, @RedOneFive

I would agree that it’s a custom (modern) build. While not strictly authentic with that “Golden Age” style Siler lock and that particular trigger, I would say the general lines of your rifle look like late Lancaster style to me, reminiscent of the trade rifles (not to be confused with smoothbored trade guns) provided to the native tribesmen in trade, as treaty gifts, or annuity payments in the early 19th century.

That’s my take on it, anyway. Other opinions welcome.

You have a nice rifle, with a high-quality lock and barrel.

Notchy Bob

Thanks yall! I'm trying to sort a pile of about 25 rifles right now, and a few like this I can't quite put a finger on of what to call them. I was leaning to those eastern schools, but my knowledge isn't quite up to par on most of those.

If it is in really good shape, I think you could ask $1,200-$1,400 for it, but that may be optimistic in today’s market. During the pandemic, it seemed people would buy anything and sellers could just about name their price. I think a lot of that was due to “panic buying.” Things have simmered down considerably since then.

The gun in the photos looks a lot like the “trade rifles” Clay Smith used to make, except he used an early-styled trigger with a pigtail curl. I don’t know whether he is still making these or not. Smoothbores seem to be all the rage now. Anyway, Mr. Smith built these as entry-level rifles around a precarved stock, but he was still asking about $2k for them 7-8 years ago. I thought that was a lot, for a plain rifle with a straight-sided barrel and precarved stock, but these rifles carried a premium because of his reputation as a builder. Your rifle, regardless of condition, would be considered “used,” and if there is no indication of who built it, that would limit the top end of its value. However, it does have good quality components and from the photos it seems to be nicely built.

So, I would estimate $1,200-$1,400 but you should probably be prepared to accept a good bit less. You may also want to consider some other people’s opinions or estimates, as I am no expert.

Good luck to you.

Notchy Bob

What it’s worth and what it sells for are two numbers. I think it is a buyers market right now. As Bob said above, during covid numbers were crazy high. Not so much now. I went to many gun shows this winter and prices are still high and some sellers will come down when cash is offered.

I had a local shop put a gun out on consignment with a bottom value as i wanted. He placed it on the internet and got me an extra $50 plus his cut. All were happy.

Back