• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My world just opened up a bit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teliliad

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Well, before I came here I thought it was just matchlocks, flintlocks, and percussion caps. Learned about inlines pretty much as I discovered this forum. Snooping around this site a bit and now I’m reading about wheel locks, dog locks, and some sort of French snaphouse contraption. I need an education… preferably in chronological order. Or if anyone cares to simply send me a link to some reading… anyway, I appreciate you guys, and hope you all have a great day!

Warning: You may be inviting unanticipated expenditures ...
I do want to know everything I can, however, my interests in collecting are a lot more simple. Outside of WW1&WW2 and a couple of other independent interests I’m really only interested in examples and replicas of American History. WW1&WW2 I’m interested in collecting standard issue rifles from each of the main 6 participants. I have a special interest in Soviet calibers and artifacts. I like odd ball and uncommon firearms. And Vetterli Vitali rifles hold a strange place in my heart. My interests in handguns is more of a caliber collection and self defensive aspect than anything else.

Welcome to the discussions!

Snaphaunce - It was not French, but is from Dutch, even though the word sounds ‘Frenchy’. The origin of the name is believed to originate from the Dutch word Snaphaan, which roughly means ‘pecking rooster’ and relates to the shape of the mechanism and its downward moving action. This also explains the name ‘cock’ for the beak-shaped mechanism which holds the flint. Note the lever arm on a wheellock that holds the pyrite is called a ‘dog’, as it is somewhat shaped like the head of a dog with a long muzzle.

Black Powdah Dates - See here:
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...ey-black-powder-arms-and-advancements.157854/

Last edited:
I can attest that researching all of this is a great way to lose days of your life.
I, or others, have posted most of these links on this forum before, but here are some of my favorites.

Unsurprisingly, there is not a lot of video content, but the small amount we do have is great.
JYF Museums:

The Incredible capandball channel:

The wheel lock pistols and cavalry of the 30 years war

Text links:
Matchlock (Michael Tromner) on Vikingsword had extensive threads on almost every pre flintlock topic. Some are just great deep dives on original guns he had in his collection. There are too many to list, but here are some highlights:
A matchlock chronology, ca. 1520 to 1720 - Ethnographic Arms & Armour
Ca. 1520: One of the World's Oldest and Finest Matchlock Landsknecht Arquebuses - Ethnographic Arms & Armour
A very fine Tusco-Emilian snap matchlock Landsknecht's harquebus, ca. 1525 - Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Books:
English language books are hard to find in stock (or at all), but if you want to start at the beginning, here are two good options:
(Its better to support a different seller than amazon, but they have them in stock)
Medieval Handgonnes: The first black powder infantry weapons: McLachlan, Sean, Embleton, Gerry, Embleton, Sam: 9781849081559: Amazon.com: Books
Weapons and Warfare in Renaissance Europe: Gunpowder, Technology, and Tactics (Johns Hopkins Studies in the History of Technology, 22): Hall, Bert S.: 9780801869945: Amazon.com: Books

Many European museums have uploaded their entire collections online, so if you want to look at some great examples of guns, I can share some of my personal favorite collections.

Last edited:
John, thank you for the link to Cap and Ball's fascinating Youtube on the firearms of the Battle of Mohács! I had missed it. One of his best.
It’s a great one! I recently rewatched it for the section where they analyze the barrel construction.

One book I recently read claimed the battle is one of the only truly decisive battles in history because the one battle, not a larger campaign, ended a major kingdom and changed the power dynamics and politics of europe for the next several hundred years

John, Németh's Youtube set me on quite a little hunt this morning: Here is an e-mail I sent to my brothers, daughter, nieces and nephews a few minutes ago. One never knows where a thread in the pre-flintlock forum will lead!

Our great grandfather (Ellie, Nick, Lixbeth, Evan and Matthew, your great-great), Judge Louis Kossuth Powell, is buried in Rivercliff Cemetery, Mt. Gilead, Ohio. He was born Feb. 6, 1852, in Mt. Gilead to Evan and Elizabeth Powell.
His parents very likely gave him the middle name of Kossuth in the heady atmosphere surrounding a wildly successful tour of the United States by the Hungarian statesman Lajos Kossuth. Note that the English cognate for Lajos is Louis.
Kossuth had arrived in Cleveland on Jan. 31 and stayed through Feb. 2. Our great grandfather was born four days later.
Why did this come up this morning? Because of the weird and byzantine way my mind works!
Here is the trail: I was checking my muzzleloader forum's sub-forum on pre-flintlock weapons. The topic of matchlocks came up, and one of the gang there posted a link to this Youtube, which was posted by a Hungarian enthusiast named Németh Balázs. (I am very fond of his excellent videos.)
In this episode, Németh focuses on the Landknechts arquebus, which saw use in the battle of Mohács in 1526, in which an Ottoman army led by Suleiman the Magnificent destroyed the Hungarian army led by King Louis II and broke up the kingdom of Hungary, altering the history of central Europe for many centuries -- and whose effects are felt to this day in the geopolitics of Europe.
First question: Bill, why had you never heard of this important battle?
Second question: Bill, why do you know NOTHING of the history of Hungary except from WWII through the Cold War?
Third question: Bill, should you not know more about the Hungary that produced the Lajos Kossuth that your own great grandfather is named for?
Fourth question: Bill, didn't Kossuth lead a sensational speaking tour of the United States about the time your great grandfather was born?
So that's the byzantine path my mind took this morning, and which I am now boring you all to tears with!
😂

Love you all so much!

Louis K Powell (1852-1929) - Find a Grave...

KOSSUTH MONUMENT | Encyclopedia of Cleveland History | Case Western Reserve University.

John, Németh's Youtube set me on quite a little hunt this morning: Here is an e-mail I sent to my brothers, daughter, nieces and nephews a few minutes ago. One never knows where a thread in the pre-flintlock forum will lead!

Our great grandfather (Ellie, Nick, Lixbeth, Evan and Matthew, your great-great), Judge Louis Kossuth Powell, is buried in Rivercliff Cemetery, Mt. Gilead, Ohio. He was born Feb. 6, 1852, in Mt. Gilead to Evan and Elizabeth Powell.
His parents very likely gave him the middle name of Kossuth in the heady atmosphere surrounding a wildly successful tour of the United States by the Hungarian statesman Lajos Kossuth. Note that the English cognate for Lajos is Louis.
Kossuth had arrived in Cleveland on Jan. 31 and stayed through Feb. 2. Our great grandfather was born four days later.
Why did this come up this morning? Because of the weird and byzantine way my mind works!
Here is the trail: I was checking my muzzleloader forum's sub-forum on pre-flintlock weapons. The topic of matchlocks came up, and one of the gang there posted a link to this Youtube, which was posted by a Hungarian enthusiast named Németh Balázs. (I am very fond of his excellent videos.)
In this episode, Németh focuses on the Landknechts arquebus, which saw use in the battle of Mohács in 1526, in which an Ottoman army led by Suleiman the Magnificent destroyed the Hungarian army led by King Louis II and broke up the kingdom of Hungary, altering the history of central Europe for many centuries -- and whose effects are felt to this day in the geopolitics of Europe.
First question: Bill, why had you never heard of this important battle?
Second question: Bill, why do you know NOTHING of the history of Hungary except from WWII through the Cold War?
Third question: Bill, should you not know more about the Hungary that produced the Lajos Kossuth that your own great grandfather is named for?
Fourth question: Bill, didn't Kossuth lead a sensational speaking tour of the United States about the time your great grandfather was born?
So that's the byzantine path my mind took this morning, and which I am now boring you all to tears with!
😂

Love you all so much!

Louis K Powell (1852-1929) - Find a Grave...

KOSSUTH MONUMENT | Encyclopedia of Cleveland History | Case Western Reserve University.

That's a cool and a little strange connection!

I went to college not too far from there!

Hungarian history is wild and worth the read. An incredible fall that they went from one of the most modern armies in Europe and even conquering Vienna, to being wiped off the map in only one or two generations. He has some good videos on Hungary's 1848 revolution. The country's WWII history is a very dark spot, however.

Back