• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Walker Pig Is Good Eatin'!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Rosenthal

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Last month on the 17th, I harvested a pig with my Uberti Colt Walker. That's the 166 year-old model (reproduction, of course). 52 grains of 3Fg Goex under a 225 grain Lee conical did the job with a 1-shot stop through both lungs as the conical expanded upon impact.

Just wanted to say that the butcher did a wonderful job and the wife & I just had the second of many great meals from this pig. Tonight we had Spare Ribs. We had Pork Chops previously. Enjoying my harvest and driving to Iowa this week to share some with our son. :grin:

Good luck to all with their Turkey Hunting!

Dave

smokin .50 said:
Last month on the 17th, I harvested a pig with my Uberti Colt Walker. That's the 166 year-old model (reproduction, of course). 52 grains of 3Fg Goex under a 225 grain Lee conical did the job with a 1-shot stop through both lungs as the conical expanded upon impact.
That is just too cool...congratulations !
:hatsoff:

PS: Not familiar enough with the Walker to know the caliber...is it a .44?

Congratulations!!! You must have shot a young pig or a sow because a mature bore is not fit to eat. The best thing one can do with an old bore is feed him to the buzzards, armadillos and other carrion eaters. But a sow or young pig is good eatin'.

Billnpatti said:
Congratulations!!! You must have shot a young pig or a sow because a mature bore is not fit to eat. The best thing one can do with an old bore is feed him to the buzzards, armadillos and other carrion eaters. But a sow or young pig is good eatin'.

Years ago I talked with a fur buyer that I used when I was hunting coons. The buyer also processed deer and hogs during the winter and I asked him about the myth that mature hogs were not fit to eat.

He said if you walk up to a dead mature hog and it stunk to leave it alone. He said that if the boar had been chasing sows in heat and there is no way you can do anything with the meat. He said if you cooked the meat it would stink up the kitchen. If the boar did not stink, butcher it.

In each rear leg there is a gland the size of a hickory nut the needs to removed. It will taint the meat if you grind it up with the surrounding meat.

Thus far he has been correct after 30 years or so. I shoot a lot of hogs each year and we can only eat so many. If I can not find a needy family for a hog, I will take just the back straps and leave the rest. I just can not leave good meat to ruin, that is the way I was raised.

So Exactly What Do Armadillos Eat. not carrion.

Primarily, armadillos love ants. They are capable of eating over 40,000 ants in one sitting. The majority of their diet consists of larvae and insects, mainly scorpions, spiders and worms. On average they will eat over 200 pounds worth of bugs per year.

Additionally, an armadillo will feed on vegetable and fruit matter like roots and berries. On occasion they will also eat certain vertebrates such as frogs, snakes, lizards and the eggs from them as well.

We routinely kill wild hogs down here, and they're all good eatin if processed and cooked correctly. Sows and small pigs (of either gender) cook up just fine. Big boars are different. The only good way to do them (for us) is to grind it all into sausage. Otherwise it is just too tough. A castrated boar however, (which is not uncommon down here) can be just as good as a sow. Letting the meat sit on ice for a week also helps because it draws the blood and gamey flavor out.

I think I'll stick with rifles but that is quite a feat. That load probably equals a 357 Mag. Geo. T.

Hi to ALL!

Just got back from the Iowa trip to visit with our Son over the last couple of weekends. So not on the computer to write-in to say a big thanks to all for the Congrats!

Yes, Roundball the Walker is a .44 Cap & Ball. In fact, it's over 15 inches long and weighs-in at over 4.5 pounds empty!

My Pig was a "farm-raised" Sow, let loose for a few days on this 150 acre island in the middle of the Susquehanna River. So it's not "gamey" at all. Since mine was the last to be harvested, I had to walk the most out of our Hunting Party of eight. Glad to have had the 3rd Model Dragoon on the weak side "in-the-leather" to help balance-out the weight so I could chase the critter all through that island, LOL! The .456 conical slug weighed-in at 225 grains. I didn't "feel" the kick, since the adrenaline was pumpin'!

Thanks again to all who responded!

Dave

Back