• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Tricked Out Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr.piburn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hope this isn't too much of a shock on you all.
I'm almost 70 and am a bulleyes shooter. My revolver has reached the point where I can no longer hold it steady. Just getting too old.
Rather than let it remain in the safe, I took means to make it lighter and move the balance
point. It now holds like a dream. Specs, Pietta
frame, 9mm barrel groove .355 dia. cylinder sleeved dia. .357. line bored. Shoot a .360 ball
over 14 grs. Swiss. Cylinder pin has a ball bearing detent to keep it from falling out. Locks
up tighter than the best S&W. Weight 2 1/2 lbs.
Trigger 1 oz. Early test show it to shoot out the
X ring on a standard NRA pistol target at 25 yds.
I know it's not pretty, but it's for shootin, not
looking at.
2011_12020001-1.jpg

2011_12020006-1.jpg

I, for one, love it. Makes perfect sense, completely functional. The cylinder is only as long as needed to hold a target load, and the barrel protrusion through the frame gives you a long barrel for a clean burn while reducing overall length. The turned down barrel center takes off weight that you no longer need nor want. All in all a very fine effort, and one I would be pleased to own should you ever decide to sell it!

Edited to add that I just noticed the altered hammer as well, nicely done.

BP pistols & revolvers are my main interest in BP firearms.
that's impressive and I'm sure it's a sweet shooter.
the cylinder pin is oversized then - right?
looks it to me and the trigger shoe is a mod only serious target shooters do to their revolvers.

That's an excellent redesign! Did you also do the machining yourself? :hatsoff:

I'll be darned, a cap & ball race gun. Who wudda thunk it possible. Way cool, great machining work, great concept. It would be interesting if you had weighed it before and after to see how much weight you removed.

:hatsoff:

That is one very cool handgun, it looks like the evolution of the revolver if metalic cartridges had never been invented. :thumbsup:

many happy returns! glad to see you still shooting. hope to do that well when I'm your age(which will be pretty soon)

In response to some questions. The reduction in
weight was 12 oz. The main thing is that it balances at the trigger now. Everything has been shifted back. Feels like my Flintlock pistol or
my caplock. I did not do the work. My old friend
and Buddy Uncle Al Huff did it. or should I say,
Mad Al Huff. Can't show a target yet. Just got back from the Dr yesterday and I have "Bells Palsy" It might take 3-6 months to get over this.
It's just like having a stroke. Same signs. I can only see out of one eye, and that's just for a short time. I'm not complaing. I WILL get well.
I will be shooting at the Nationals at Friendship
next June on the pistol line. Those of you who go
there know me and the wife with the blond kinky hair. Got her picture in "Muzzle Blast" Dec issue.
along with the daughter. Here is a target I shot
at Friendship at 50 yds with this same revolver
when I could hold it up. This was 3 years ago I
think. Will keep you all posted. Phil P.

0009-1.jpg

Lucky,
I noticed in your post about your diagnosed "Bell's Palsey". A tough thing to get over. My wife had it and then a couple of years later a relaspe. The thing that helped her the most was massage of her facial muscles and the area around the ear where the nerves that control the facial and cheek muscles are located by our chiropractor. Her lip drooped, she couldn't blink her left eye. In the years since (about 10 now) you can't tell it ever happened.I hope you fully recover. Good luck. I do like the Remington. I have several and really enjoy shooting them.

Just a note, The revolver design was engineered
by Al Huff and the superb work was done by the
excellcent machinist Phil Quaglino. Just super work!

I'll volunteer to test fire it for ya. :wink: I can't shoot as good as you, but I'm willing to listen if you're willing to teach. I'll even pick you up and drive to the range. You bring the powder and the lead, I'll bring lunch and do the driving. You load it, I'll shoot it. You could teach me a lot about pistol shooting if you're so inclined. When we get back to town, I'll clean it if you'll show me how you want it done. :hmm:

I agree, it does make a great deal of sense! I have to put in 20 grains of cream-of-wheat to take up the cylinder volume for my 15grain load of 3F in my 44.
This configuration removes all the unneeded powder capacity for target shooting and sleeving to a .35 allows line boring, great revolver!
I've seen S&W revolvers in 45 ACP so worked over as well.MD

Back