• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Trade Rifle Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayugad

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have not told my story here. This was my first deer using a flintlock rifle. The season was not going well for me. Although I hunted hard, deer were scarce.

I went out with my .54 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle flintlock. I was loaded with 90 grains of Goex 2f and a Speer patched ball, with Stumpkiller's moose milk lube. I was using Goex 3f as my pan powder.

Having had terrible luck all season I was headed out again. I love to hunt and hate to get skunked. I had not seen a deer all season. It snowed this morning so I could see well in the woods. I had been out in the morning during the snow, but since it had stopped snowing finally, I decided to give my Flintlock a turn at bat.

Actually I was challenging fate because I have never shot at a deer with this flintlock, had no idea if I could make the flintlock even work, was teasing the deer because I was crazy depending on a flintlock in a snow and damp environment. I was basically giving myself a lot of excuses to not get a shot off. Then I dared a deer to show itself.

On the way out to where I wanted to hunt the afternoon, I saw a very recent track as there was no snow in the hoof print. This meant it had passed not more then half an hour prior to my coming through since it just quite snowing. I guessed the deer was heading towards a small island in the cedar marsh. It was a small track but it was a fresh track.

I then started my stalk, taking a few steps and stopping. I continued this for over 200 yards and saw nothing. This little hike took me hours to do though, and was eating up the afternoon. Amazing how slow a person moves on a stalk.

I was running out of time. I figured I had about forty five minutes to a little more then a hour of time left before I had to get myself out of the marsh.

So I then began heading to the brushed out boundary line that I share with the Federal National Forest. I knew it was close by. The forest service brushed out the boundary line we share, since there was talk of them clear cutting their section. Deer will sometimes stand in these brushed out areas where there is grass and other things they can browse on. I figured if it got dark at least I could walk out easy.

I finally got to the boundary line. Due to the snow and moisture outside, I was changing my pan powder every half hour just to make sure it was fresh. I was just about to step out into the cleared area when I spotted something moving through the brush, headed for the boundary in front of me down the line. I looked around and found a tree to lean into, and waited. I then removed the frizzen cover just in case I would get a shot at something. I kept my glove over the frizzen and lock hoping it would keep it dry from the snow.

I stood there and waited and watched I figured to wait until the last minute to see what would step out. That's when it finally walked into the brushed out area. It was a DEER!! I could not believe how excited I was. There really are deer here in the woods. Then I realized I had a flintlock, it was snowing again, and the deer was not in a position to shoot yet.

I watched the deer wander around on the boundary. It was further away then I thought, or very small, and I figured the second was probably true. I leaned the rifle into the tree to steady it. I then cocked the flint hammer back and hoped it was going to fire like it had all the times on the range in practice.

The problem now was, I was running out of day light and the deer would not turn sideways to give me a broadside shot. I was also concerned that even if it turned sideways and I shot, the deer would run off into the marsh and the snow would cover its tracks. Entering the marsh at night is dangerous. Too many broken ankles in there.

I kept looking down the barrel over the buck horn sights at the little deer. As the deer lowered it's head to the ground I thought, neck shot. That would plant the deer right there, easy to get out down the boundary, and if I timed it right, and missed the spine, the ball should pass through and still hit the vital organs.

When the deer stood there almost facing me I then knew if I did not shoot soon, I would be out of day light and have to walk out empty handed. As the deer lowered it head down again, I lined up on the neck taking into account where the heart and major organs should be. I then took and aimed. I put gentle pressure on the trigger while holding my sight picture. And the rifle roared perfect. I never saw the flash of the pan at all. The smoke of course covered my vision for a few seconds.

The smoke cleared and there I could see a large brown spot of the ground in the grass. I started to reload figuring it would have just a broken neck is all. When I walked up to it, I observed a small deer laying there stone dead. The ball had broke the neck, and then came through the chest, cutting the heart in two. The heart looked like I'd whacked it with a hawk.

From there, the ball passed down, along the body and exited hitting a rear leg breaking that as well, between the hoof and the joint. Where the ball went after that, I have no idea. All of this was learned during field dressing. Just for kicks I took out my range finder and shot the tree I had been leaning on. 52 yards. The roundball did an excellent job of penetration and destruction in my opinion.

Then the real work began, and I dragged it out. For once I was glad it was little....

Dcp05713.jpg

It's great when a plan comes together. Nice story, nice pics and a great looking deer. I like the rifle,too.

snagg

cayugad, ATTABOY! Congrats! gotta make ya proud! now ya know that's the onliest gun you be needin! now has that Britches fella been givin writin lessons? or you com across it natural like? either way, great story! ya done good! congrats again ! RC :thumbsup:

What a great hunt! Congrats on your first flintlock deer. That's one you'll remember forever. :)

Who was on the other end of that leash, and weren't they upset when you shot their pet? :rotf:
Grats :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back